Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night the garage door was shut on my first fly rod, a redington path. I’ve enjoyed it while it’s lasted but am not looking to move to a mid-market fly rod. The question I have is what am I really getting for the money?

I’m admittedly a little tough on gear and where I’m fishing for redfish often isn’t pretty - lots of mud and oysters.

I’ve looked at the following: Redington Vice, Orvis Recon and, Sage Motive and Sage Foundation. All are $350 or under I believe.

There are some deals so happening so it wasn’t the worst timing!

·
Registered
14' Sesquehanna
388 Posts
As they say, try them out before you buy, but you might consider TFO TICRX, if you can find one. They are a tough rod in my opinion and have a great repair guarantee. The Axiom 2 X, are supposed to be similar.
I just found a 6wt ticrx to match my 8wt. Took me about of year of looking. Well worth it, the rod is super sweet!! The word is the new Axiom 2 X is supposed to be the new ticrx with a softer tip.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
289 Posts
The Redington Predator is a great rod for the money, I have 2 8wt's for client use and they are great casting rods for the money.

·
Registered
Capt Parker D
229 Posts
I second the Redington predator, great for the money. I personally throw an Orvis Recon and love it. They have a good sale going on right now.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Any TFO should be considered. Garage door mishap? Send the rod in with $30, and a couple of days later you get a new section.
Agreed, love their warranty and I just cast the Axiom 2 X in a 7wt and loved it, fun rod. The guides were a bit noisy, but for the price it's hard to beat.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,531 Posts
Sage Foundation in 8wt is a great casting rod. It is easily my favorite lower cost fly rod. Redington Vice is a really good rod for the price. Doesn't have the highest quality finish but really who cares as long as it gets the job done. The fish don't care. TFO BVK is another really good casting rod although they seem to have a higher than normal rate of breaking. The TFO warranty is fantastic but still a broken rod is a hassle.

Reactions: olbardo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, went down to Orvis here in town today and the Recon was on sale. They didn’t have to sell it, however, sold itself. They let me cast with several rods and it was a dream to cast coming from an entry level rod. Wind was blowing pretty good downtown and it shot easily right through it in the hand of a novice!

Won a nautilus reel not too long ago and am going to pair them. I’ll send in the tip to Redington and see if they’ll replace it for a secondary rod.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Lots of ways to skin this cat. My favorite redfish fly rods are fiberglass.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Any TFO should be considered. Garage door mishap? Send the rod in with $30, and a couple of days later you get a new section.
Can confirm. I broke a tip off through my own stupidity and they replaced the section for 30 bucks, even after I told them I broke it being an idiot.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
17 Posts
Why settle for a mid priced performance rod when you could get a rod that would last you forever performance wise? Many of the rods you listed are produced by companies that are intentionally "dumbing down" the performance so they can try to sell you a more expensive rod when you want to increase performance. They have to do that to continue to sell more expensive premium priced rods. Please go cast the ECHO BOOST Saltwater rod as mentioned earlier. Tim Rajeff, a world champion fly caster, is the owner and rod designer at ECHO. The Boost is a very impressive casting rod that you may never need to replace. If you are a very good caster and looking for a premium world class casting rod that competes with $900 rods, then also consider the Waterworks Lamson Saltwater Series. They start at $399 and are becoming really popular in Florida. In fact, the Waterworks Saltwater Series 8wt. just took 1st place at the Florida Tampa Big Gun casting competition that attracts top casters from around the state. It beat many top casters throwing $900 rods. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2000 CS J - 16 w/ 50 hp Tohatsu
69 Posts
So last night the garage door was shut on my first fly rod, a redington path. I’ve enjoyed it while it’s lasted but am not looking to move to a mid-market fly rod. The question I have is what am I really getting for the money?

I’m admittedly a little tough on gear and where I’m fishing for redfish often isn’t pretty - lots of mud and oysters.

I’ve looked at the following: Redington Vice, Orvis Recon and, Sage Motive and Sage Foundation. All are $350 or under I believe.

There are some deals so happening so it wasn’t the worst timing!
TFO 's new Axiom 2 X should do u perfect.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts