Redfish checking out push pole

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by Flatsaholic, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Flatsaholic

Flatsaholic Well-Known Member

I had a unique experience when I was on the water this past weekend. I am curious if anyone else has had the same or find it odd.

When I was poling the shorelines I noticed three separate occasion of reds checking out the push pole in the water. My guess the reds were checking out the sand kicked up by the push. They would follow for about 3 pushes then wonder off.

2. jlindsley

jlindsley Well-Known Member

They are most likely following it because you are stirring up the bottom and they are trying to feed.

I was bonefishing in Turks and Caicos a few years ago and multiple times we had bonefish following our tracks while wading.

I'll take it you probably don't fish mosquito lagoon as the fish there are terrified of shrimp on a 1/0 hook with 15lb fluoro ;)

DBStoots likes this.

3. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

4. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

same reason they hang with the mullet.

5. Flatsaholic

Flatsaholic Well-Known Member

This was in Tampa Bay.

6. Pierson

Pierson Well-Known Member

Wading in Tampa I always seem to get the 3-4' bonnet head sharks following my mud trail. They get all the way up to my ankles, realize I am not food and then explode away right at my feet. Scares the crap out of me every time. I always make a point to look behind me now and then, unfortunately haven't seen any curious redfish.

yobata and Flatsaholic like this.
  7. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

I have been wading with a couple of redfish on the stringer and had other redfish come up and check them out. Dropped a plastic in their face and they ate every time. Pretty neat.

FSUDrew99, Flatsaholic and yobata like this.
  8. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Bonefish love to follow a skiff. Typically not at the pole, but they definitely follow the mud trail. When I'm in South Biscayne, I have a lot of small black tip's that love to chase the push pole and ram it. They'll literally try to bite the push pole foot.