Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on this engine, has anyone tried one out yet?
I am considering one to replace my 2004 Mercury 25HP 2-Stroke on my Custom Gheenoe with center console.
At 126 pounds the new engine would only be 12 pounds heavier than my current 2-stroke and can include power trim among a list of seemingly great features.
http://2017newproducts.yamahaoutboards.com/f25
From the Yamaha site below:
THE REDESIGNED F25
Completely reinvented, the all-new Yamaha F25 is the lightest 25-horsepower outboard on the water—two stroke or four stroke. In fact, it’s SOHC 2-cylinder design creates a power-to-weight that’s not only class-leading; it’s category-jumping, taking on Portable performance advantages. Once that sinks in, you’ll realize it means 25 horses can boldly go where they’ve never gone before. Jons. 14-foot aluminum fishing boats. The bed of your truck. While its streamlined design is up to 25 percent lighter, it still manages to pack in exciting new features—like battery-less EFI and an optional electric start kit. The completely reimagined Yamaha F25 Portable four stroke. It’s one of the most exciting outboards to hit the water in years.
BATTERY-LESS EFI
The F25's electronic fuel injection system provides smooth running and greater fuel efficiency than the previous F25. And the system operates without a battery, thus reducing weight so if you want to go light, you can. The New F25’s battery-less system was designed to require minimal effort for manual starting through an auto decompression device and a short pull. (A battery is required for electric-start capability.
QUICKER THAN TWO-STROKE
The new F25C outperforms the traditional Yamaha 25-horsepower two stroke. So it’s the perfect power for 14- to 16-foot aluminum boats and similar craft.*
*Testing conducted by Yamaha at Yamaha’s US Test Facility on a G3 Model 1448 under heavy load conditions.
OVERALL PERFORMANCE
The F25’s SOHC, 2-cylinder design, optimally balanced crankshaft and labyrinth exhaust deliver smooth power, and its Microcomputer Ignition adjusts timing to maintain optimal engine performance, economy and power under all conditions.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,007 Posts
A chirp from the 2 stroke community : 125# four stroke vs the 106 # two stroke Yamaha. Plus parts are available to modify the two stroke for even more hp/torque.

;

·
Registered
746 Posts
I could not find buried in the details, but when they publish weight info, it is typically for the shortest shaft, manual tilt, remote control motor in the lineup....just make sure you are making an apples to apples comparison with your 2 stroke for weight gain.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could not find buried in the details, but when they publish weight info, it is typically for the shortest shaft, manual tilt, remote control motor in the lineup....just make sure you are making an apples to apples comparison with your 2 stroke for weight gain.
My current 2004 Mercury 25HP 2-Stroke is a remote control, short 15" shaft with manual trim, so 12 additional pounds should be accurate. Unfortunately I was hoping the new Yamaha had power trim on the short shaft at 126lbs. Does anyone have experience with the Yamaha "Nitro Assist Trim & Tilt"? I was wanting to be able to adjust the trim on the fly but this would be a nice addition at least.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,007 Posts
Just waiting for the 2 stroke til death group to chime in about how those 10 lbs will put your transom underwater and that it will be way slower than any 2 stroke 25

I really like the motor. I wish I had an application for it.
10#'s ! really! closer to 20# for the short shaft... 4 stroke Yamaha

·
Registered
418 Posts
wonder if you could order a short shaft with power trim and tilt? maybe more info will come out in the future. I am running a merc 25 2 stroke now with built in power trim and tilt not an aftermarket add on, was special ordered that way.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
39 Posts
My company just got one for a 16ft Tracker Jon boat. It cost $3600 out the door and is a pull start only motor. It's so quiet you seriously have to look for the pee. I know people say this, but this thing is quiet. Had 2 men (215, 170lb) and just safety gear and got to 27WOT gps no problem. Cruise easily at 21-22 and just purrs. Will get this motor for myself when getting the next skiff.

FYI the Tracker is a lead sled.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,488 Posts
Small engine of the future for su
My company just got one for a 16ft Tracker Jon boat. It cost $3600 out the door and is a pull start only motor. It's so quiet you seriously have to look for the pee. I know people say this, but this thing is quiet. Had 2 men (215, 170lb) and just safety gear and got to 27WOT gps no problem. Cruise easily at 21-22 and just purrs. Will get this motor for myself when getting the next skiff.

FYI the Tracker is a lead sled.
Small hp engine of the future for sure.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
146 Posts
I was looking at this for a 1756, the dealer is pushing to a 40hp, the manufacture says the 30hp is fine. A lot of weight difference. My old Merc 25hp 2 stroke pushed the 1648 just fine.

While I liked the 2 strokes, what's the advantage of them unless you own an older unit? The new ones aren't very much lighter than their 4 stroke models, and I've had my only and last Etec. Or is there a place to purchase the old style in new condition I'm not aware of?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I am looking at a boat on this site that is advertised as having a 2017 light Yamaha with Factory tilt and trim. As I understand from this discussion- it must be a long shaft

·
I Love microskiff.com!
146 Posts
Moving up from a 1648 to a 1756 is 95 lb heavier boat. The old Merc 25 hp pushed the 1648 with gear and two just fine. If the new Yamaha was built in 40 hp, that's the way I'd go.

New 40 hp tiller: Two strokes available, Tohatsu at 208 lb and Etec 240 lb. Four strokes Honda 212 lb, Merc 220 lb. These are comparable motors, 20" shaft electric start/tiller/tilt trim.

I ran an Etec for four years and will not go that route again. However, had an off-the-shelf prop change factory suggested, and it improved hole shot and top speed. It was a fuel miser.

The point is, with the right prop it's probably apples to apples two vs four stroke. I don't think the four pounds extra is a killer, tried/true Honda outboard vs Tohatsu?

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
Not compression , overall weight is 185. 1 hp for every 3.85 lbs
Ive seen in print where these outboards are 60 hp not 48 , something to do w/ a change in how they rated hp. Really simple engines. Propped w/ a stiletto triad II. 11 3/4x 18 on a 1660 f&b
Boat will run 35+ depending on load. Cool little set up. Trying to get my 15 yr old daughter on the water more often ( rig's hers lol )

·
Registered
254 Posts
Moving up from a 1648 to a 1756 is 95 lb heavier boat. The old Merc 25 hp pushed the 1648 with gear and two just fine. If the new Yamaha was built in 40 hp, that's the way I'd go.

New 40 hp tiller: Two strokes available, Tohatsu at 208 lb and Etec 240 lb. Four strokes Honda 212 lb, Merc 220 lb. These are comparable motors, 20" shaft electric start/tiller/tilt trim.

I ran an Etec for four years and will not go that route again. However, had an off-the-shelf prop change factory suggested, and it improved hole shot and top speed. It was a fuel miser.

The point is, with the right prop it's probably apples to apples two vs four stroke. I don't think the four pounds extra is a killer, tried/true Honda outboard vs Tohatsu?
If you do go the 4 stroke route, the Tohatsu 50hp is the same weight as their 40hp and everyone raves about them.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts