Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 525 Posts

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It's getting real bad people! There has to be some organization that can stand up to the EPA and the Army Corp of Engineers and do something about it. All my buddies in SW Fla are saying the fishing is dead due to it. Guides are being put out of business, it's hard to even go out to the beaches, vacationers are steering away from the area and revenues are at an all time high for the summer. This is as bad as the Mosquito Lagoon issues a year ago. Same causes, different side of the state.

Post up your red tide reports here!

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sarcasm? A lot of it has to do with the release of water from Big O! But not all of it. Big sugar and super farmers with their fertilizers run offs from their fields, as well as phosphate and sulfric acir enriched water on top of all of Big Phosphate's Gyp stacks and that affluent water drainage out of their holding ponds on top of those gyp stacks, to make ready for hurricane season, that drains into the system that drains into Big O and the Caloosahatchee River system. All of that makes a toxic cess pool of fertilizer enriched slurry water when then the Army Corp of Engineers are instructed to get rid of it all by opening up all the locks between Lake O and the Gulf of Mexico, when then that water runs out. The results are the fertilizers reach the saltwater born algae and causes them to bloom. The blooming process zaps all the oxygen out of the water, which causes them to die. But with that cess pool of toxic water, comes other things mixed into it, like the Sulphric Acid that Big Phosphate is using to seporate the Phosphate from the rock. They can't get rid of those acids, so it's pump up top of those holding ponds on top of each gypsum stack (mountain) (see Google earth or sattilite and zoom into those Phosphate mining opperations and you see what I'm talking about, toxic lakes supended hundreds of yards up off of ground level) in hopes they will evaporate (which Florida is now starting to experience acid rain from it). But when the big rains come, it can also make those holding ponds get too full and therefore will overflow, causing a toxic hazardous mess and fish kills all around it. So they are mixing low levels of those toxic lake water, in with freshwater to get rid of it, low enough to not kill local fish, but when it reaches the saltwater, it causes the algaes to bloom un-naturally and out of it's normal rate, which creates the red tide.

The "red tide" get's it's name by the reddish, brownish color it makes in open clear saltwater, contrasting against each other. You can sit there in clear beach water and see it coming down the beach. You can see fish sitting there like snook and such and then watch the red tide move over them and the fish will roll up to the surface being suffocated to death. I've personally witness this happening on more occasions than I want to think about.

The problem is, there is no force big enough, powerful enough, financially stout enough and ethically enough (not getting their pockets lined) and also have the balls enough to go head to head. The State is not doing enough and politicians either get paid-off to do nothing or fear for their future if they take this challenge head on. Even palms are being greased in Washington to do nothing about it and all it to continue. It's really so corrupted, it;s nauseating.

People in general needs to know the cause and agree to band together and support groups that are non bias and are spear heading this effort to get the EPA involved (another corrupted organization), but holding them accountable.

That last giant sink hold created by Big Phosphate in Bartow, they got a slap on the wrist with a $500k fine. Big deal, they made billions from that site and mother nature conveniently took care of the hazardous waste they created there. Unfortunately, that toxic crap is now in all of West central and SW Florida's aquifers. So be careful what you are drinking.

Does it sound like I'm pissed-off? Yes I am!!! :mad:

G

·
Well then, Somali and I are on board! Whi else is in??? He and I can’t... or rather probably shouldn’t do it on our own! If we band together as one united and demand actiin then the government will have no choice than to fix the problem! I ain’t sceered to take on the mob! Like Toby said... I ain’t as good as I once was... keep this one about the water folks, let’s get something done. We can argue about the other crap later. The kids need the water!

G

·
Anybody read Rules for Radicals? How about a big sit in at the locks? Megaphones, signs, fly fisherman handcuffing themselves to equipment like dirty hippies?
Works for the hippies, I’m in! Just remember in order for us to be considered piece-full demonstrators you’ll have to leave the m1-A at home. I know it hurts but it’ll be ok lol!

G

·
How many members on this forum alone? If we come together with folks we know, we could make one hell of a statement! Let’s contact the hippy lawyers Morgan and Morgan up, he likes to fight the government!

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Here's some reading to do - and as usual you'll find me sounding off as well...

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/sounds-like-the-corps-is-going-to-dump-the-big-o-again.52102/
https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/261022/bull-sugar-adam-putnam#latest
https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/259803/red-tide#latest

These are only a few small items about what is an ongoing serious problem. I just joined Captains for Clean Water (and should have done it months ago...). The CCA is now beginning to pay more attention as well to this issue...

Remember all the work it took to get the net ban passed... this is more important....

·
Registered
94 Posts
There's a new video going around facebook of a dead manatee washed up at the Cape Yacht boat ramp. A couple a manatee calves are hanging around it and one of them "hugged" the dead mother. Seems like the kind of thing that could go viral. Manatees dying is the kind of thing that will get folks outside of Florida interested.

This red tide is terrible. The fish kill is unbelievable.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I'm starting to think a big, aggressive protest at one of the locks is in order. It would need some level of organization and we would need a lot of people so as not to look like idiots. Tip off local media that it's going down, have designated camera folks in our ranks to post to social media and YouTube. Make sure everybody knows the rules, ie be aggressive but non-violent, don't actively resist cops, etc. There is the real possibility of somebody needing bail money before it's over though.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I am surprised this hasn't happened already. There has to be some reason it hasn't already been done by bullsugar or capts for clean water. If it does happen I would be willing to fly down to be there and support it. I do what I can spreading the word on social media and talking to folks out here but this really needs more national attention!! I would think getting the national networks to cover it would really help the cause! I live in Colorado and most folks are ignorant to what is happening, and am constantly educating myself on this issue through posts by you guys, links and reading. This is an ecosystem, environment and fishery that simply does not exist anywhere else in the world! If it isn't worth saving what the hell is!?!?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,431 Posts
The Corp of Engineers has no choice but to release water east and west to prevent Big O levee damage and flooding south. Wishing no harm to the people south of Big O but the worst case event to trigger action would be a catastrophic collapse of the levee. The problem is way beyond the state of Florida to solve. Federal action is required and that will take time and votes as it should.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,431 Posts
I am surprised this hasn't happened already. There has to be some reason it hasn't already been done by bullsugar or capts for clean water. If it does happen I would be willing to fly down to be there and support it. I do what I can spreading the word on social media and talking to folks out here but this really needs more national attention!! I would think getting the national networks to cover it would really help the cause! I live in Colorado and most folks are ignorant to what is happening, and am constantly educating myself on this issue through posts by you guys, links and reading. This is an ecosystem, environment and fishery that simply does not exist anywhere else in the world! If it isn't worth saving what the hell is!?!?
I would fly in to participate/protest. I will probably trailer the skiff to ENP in two weeks anyway if I get a weather window.

·
waterman 16
443 Posts
We spent three weeks in the Gasparilla area in June and early July. The beach was swimmable THREE DAYS. The water is brown red, the air is irritating to the nose and throat, and dead fish everywhere. It is affecting the "inside" fisheries, too. Places like Lemon Bay, Placida Sound, and Charlotte Harbor. Boca Grande had noticeably smaller numbers of tarpon (in my opinion). We saw everything from breeder snook to large black drum and full-sized goliath groupers...and everything in between...dead and floating, or on the beach. It is absolutely a disaster for the SWFL economy. Yes, the red tide is naturally occurring. However the influx of extra nutrients has caused it to literally never subside. Saddened.

1 - 20 of 525 Posts