Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run a Bateau FS18 and have been using an old 18’ Stiffy Fiberglass Push Pole. As you can imagine that gives me quite a workout. At nearly 60 yrs old I want to upgrade to a lighter carbon fiber Push Pole. I’ve always understood the recommendation is boat length + 3’. And I’ve talked with a a couple of different guides and they recommend going with as long as you can get, so 24’.

Thoughts please.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Don't go by the boat length + 3' theory. There are other factors like poling platform height, depth of water you typically pole in, etc. For reference, I have a 14' salt marsh and my pole is just over 20'. I typically pole in water from 6"-3', but sometimes deeper. This is the perfect length for me.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,417 Posts
If you've been poling with an 18 fg pole, a 21-foot carbon fiber will make a world of difference. Yes, there are mitigating factors like platform height and water depth to consider. A longer pole also requires less handling before pick up, which reduces fatigue and noise. But I'm in the same camp as sjrobin. Go too long and that extra length is a pain in terms of bouncing, docking, etc.

Used a Stiffy Hybrid for years while guiding and it worked well for my heavier flats boat. Have also owned a Biscayne pole and others in the past. Spent the cash on a Carbon Marine GL3R for my skiff and it's been money well invested. I do have a few more birthdays on the ledger than you do, but I can pole easily and not feel whipped afterwards. As another option, the Moonlighter carbon fiber also has some good reviews on this site and the price won't break the bank.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use a 22’ Moonlighter carbon. Great length overall. Much prefer this pole to my prior Stiffy Hybrid. I normally pole in 3’ or less. I’d go 24’ if I were poling deeper water.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
394 Posts
18ish food boat piling with a 20’ hybrid I’d love a 24’ for when I drop off a flat not sure how it would be on the flat but I’d figure it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys thanks for the input. I will typically be push poling the upper Texas coastal marsh on Sabine so predominantly shallow water typically nothing more than 2’. But typically mud bottom. I think you all have helped me decide on 21’. I’m leary of a 24’ pole as it will be 6’ longer than my boat.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Must be well over 20. I’ve worn out the pole on the spike end so many times. It has shortened the pole to the point where I might get two pushes before lifting. In sub 12” water!

·
Registered
961 Posts
For the price my 24’ stiffy hybrid is awesome. Light and strong.

Here in north Florida you will loose 2’-4’ of your pole in pluff mud in some cases.

I went from a 21’ to a 24’ and will never go back to a smaller pole.

Trailer it with a flag like I did my 21’ for idiot drivers and when fishing the bow slide it to the transom to get the pole out of the way.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I went from a 18ft stiffy hybrid to a 23 ft carbonmarine g3 and I will never go back, having that extra length is huge and the weight difference is just a plus

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,503 Posts
My 21' glass Lomis pole is too short for me.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,105 Posts
Loved my 21’ moonlighter for Jacksonville which is similar type of bottom/depth. And my old skiff had a higher platform I believe. I think height of platform and depth are most important things to consider. Short pushes are usually best in most bottoms anyways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts