Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello
(I'm new to MicroSkiff, so please let me know if this is posted incorrectly.)
I want to add a poling platform to my Yamaha, G3, 18' tunnel jon. I intend to use it in the Southeast USA, Florida to Texas chasing bonefish, tarpon, reds, etc. as applicable. I plan to spend the month of May in the Keys and want to have the platform built before that.
I appreciate any advice or recommendations for a vendor in the southeast who you have confidence in building a custom platform. While southern Florida may make the most sense, I will be driving from Idaho, so other areas of the southeast are possibilities.
Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Somebody close to you. So you can test fit after they get it tacked up. There are a lot measurements/angles in your particular application. One old school off the transom may be a better/simplest approach. But motor movements, height and transom angle are all in play.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Any competent pipe welder can work up a poling platform for you -provided you know what you need (and what you want...). If you haven't ever used a pushpole much what you want - as opposed to what you actually need... might cause you some difficulty... Most boat builders actually have a business or shop they deal with that provides the poling platforms for their hulls. Wish I could make a proper recommendation so I'll just hang out and see what others have to say...
Along with that platform you're going to need a pushpole and some means of securing it to your hull on the water - and when you're towing your rig down the road... That particular type of hull will require a bit of ingenuity to even be able to keep a pushpole on it properly....

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Thought about that poling platform a bit more... If you removed that center seat right in front of that motor and placed a roto-molded cooler (Yeti, Engel, or others...) across where it was... you’d have a pretty fair platform to pole from... I’m talking about at least a 60 qt cooler - maybe an 80.

I’ve known more than a few who’ve poled from a cooler with great success...

Something to think about...

·
Panhandler
2,716 Posts
The cooler suggestion is a good one. With a load of ice and drinks, they are pretty stable, plus you could move it around depending on partners, sea state, etc.

As far as push pole holders, Anytide on here makes a bunch of options.

shallowwatersolutions.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thought about that poling platform a bit more... If you removed that center seat right in front of that motor and placed a roto-molded cooler (Yeti, Engel, or others...) across where it was... you’d have a pretty fair platform to pole from... I’m talking about at least a 60 qt cooler - maybe an 80.

I’ve known more than a few who’ve poled from a cooler with great success...

Something to think about...
Hmmm. That's an idea that could work because the seat just pops out. My experience is on guided trips where the guide is on a platform. I'm guessing the platform is 2-3 times higher than the top of a cooler. Do you think the cooler gets a person high enough for leverage, and importantly, able to see the fish?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Somebody close to you. So you can test fit after they get it tacked up. There are a lot measurements/angles in your particular application. One old school off the transom may be a better/simplest approach. But motor movements, height and transom angle are all in play.
You identify important elements and that is why I believe I need someone who has previous experience in building platforms for these type of boats. There are competent welders in Boise, Idaho who specialize in outfitting boats, but platforms are not an area of expertise. There isn't demand for poling in this part of the world. I figured I would arrange ahead of time to spend a week or so someplace where there's a fabricator that has experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts