Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
‘09 Chaos Bonefish16
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations? Looking for a skiff that can handle running chop in open water. We usually run about 15 miles in open water and want a skiff that you can handle some waves of the wind picks up while I’m out there

·
Registered
‘09 Chaos Bonefish16
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fishing out of Mississippi/Louisiana. Would like to be able to run out to the barrier island certain times of year weather permitting but still would like something that I can handle if the winds pick up while I’m still out there. Typical a 10-15 mile run no matter where I launch. What a good skinny water skiff that still have a fairly aggressive V to handle some waves?

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Chittum 18 foot 12 degree. I like the Mangrove build with Tohatsu 60; easiest poling— true 7” draft. But the Snake Bight with F70 or Merc 115 perform well too — there was a thread about this topic for Louisiana earlier this year. Will forward the link.

·
Registered
703 Posts
you didn't state size or budget but no matter if it's 16, 18, or 21 feet... if your priority is the best skiff/flats boat to run open water 15 miles offshore, then there is only one "best" option and that is an Egret.

A real self-bailing cockpit, well made, and I don't think anyone with any integreity, maybe that's a little harsh so let me rephrase.. no one can seriosuly claim thier HB, ECC, Chitum, Beavertail, Maverick, whatever has a better ride or handles chop better than the same size Egret. Now, if you're looking to pole silently in 8" of water then there are better options.

·
Registered
‘09 Chaos Bonefish16
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 22’ bay boat but I’ve been limited to getting into ponds where I can see the redfish but can’t get to them. Frustrating when you see tailing reds

·
I Love microskiff.com!
690 Posts
you didn't state size or budget but no matter if it's 16, 18, or 21 feet... if your priority is the best skiff/flats boat to run open water 15 miles offshore, then there is only one "best" option and that is an Egret.

A real self-bailing cockpit, well made, and I don't think anyone with any integreity, maybe that's a little harsh so let me rephrase.. no one can seriosuly claim thier HB, ECC, Chitum, Beavertail, Maverick, whatever has a better ride or handles chop better than the same size Egret. Now, if you're looking to pole silently in 8" of water then there are better options.
True dat

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I have a 22’ bay boat but I’ve been limited to getting into ponds where I can see the redfish but can’t get to them. Frustrating when you see tailing reds
Then get out your rubber ducky float and float yourself in or use a flats blaster rig. Which is a bank sinker at end of leader with bait of choice tied off where leader meets line. If you can see the fish you can reach the fish

·
I Love microskiff.com!
168 Posts
Remember one mans “ chop “ is another’s 3-4 . Just ran a 80 mile round trip in an 18 hpx and half the ride was not fun . Does it get it done yes . Does the v eat chop ? ... ahh not really it’s a skiff . This is not an hpx review . I’m basically talking all skiffs . My first question I ask everyone is , are you really going to pole ? If the answer is no than simply move to a 20-22ft bay boat for the most part or large flats boat ... red fisher egret , seahunter , etc ... if the answer is yes ... well now you start getting into particulars .... I’ve spent a lot of time in an hpx , I can’t speak to the vantage or marquesa . I would think they are all similar in ride . If you want a skiff you can still pole regularly I would start there . But unfortunately there is no magic skiff yet and at times we all still get our ass kicked. Despite judging tide,wind ,launch points etc .... good luck skiff shopping is fun !

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
From what I have heard the new egrets are a bad joke when it comes to craftsmanship. Not up to the standards of what the company was built on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Any recommendations? Looking for a skiff that can handle running chop in open water. We usually run about 15 miles in open water and want a skiff that you can handle some waves of the wind picks up while I’m out there
I would strongly recommend you look into an ActionCraft FlatsMaster in whatever length is best for you. The hulls have 17 degrees of deadrise at the transom, and they still float in less than a foot of water fully rigged and loaded. I have an 1820 and love it. Does it pole like a zero or two degree deadrise microskiff? No. Will it pole in five or six inches of water like a zero or two degree microskiff. No, but those will pound you silly in a serious chop. If you can find a boat that rides better than an ActionCraft in a chop which is still poleable, spinable and quiet, buy it. I encourage you to take a test ride in an ActionCraft. And no, in case you're wondering, I'm not in any way connected to the company other than as a very satisfied customer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve owned an Egret for almost two years. It handles sloppy conditions, within reason of course, exceptionally well. So well that it served as a gateway drug to nearshore/offshore fishing, and now I’m selling it to move up to a 24-foot boat.

From what I have heard the new egrets are a bad joke when it comes to craftsmanship. Not up to the standards of what the company was built on.
This isn’t true. Happy to show anyone interest in an Egret my boat to disprove this.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.