Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking at trailers a lot lately as I will need one in as little as a few weeks. Looked at used, new, custom.... I've decided I don't want to buy anyone's problem again, so it will be new, but I also don't want to spend $4k on a trailer, so it won't be custom.

So one big issue is I need the trailer to have a long box tongue, so I can add a swing tongue kit to make it fit in the garage like my last boat. It seems that most trailers I found for a 17ft boat for some reason are near 8ft, or more, wide. Seems a bit ridiculous to me to have a trailer that over sized taking up room for no reason.

That being said I found a trailer that is exactly what I want. Aluminum I-beam frame, torsion axle, 13" tires, LED lights, sure lube hubs (not bearing buddy junk), and most of all reasonably priced at $1599! I talked to guys at the boat show after I saw several of the trailers being used, and they like them. The dealer is Seaside trailers.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/tro/d/new-smyrna-beach-2019-karavan-aluminum/6825467804.html

https://seaside-trailers.business.site/

So here is the issue. The distance between the trailers fenders is a bit more then 59". I think it will just fit, as the fenders are angled out, and the hull is angled up a bit where the fenders would line up with the chines. Anyone see any issues with this? I notice on many of the custom trailers the fenders are fairly tight to the sides of the hull.

FullSizeR_resized https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,273 Posts
I’d pull those plastic fenders off and bolt some carpeted starboard to the insides of some 1/8” aluminum diamond plate fenders and mount them so they act like guide on bunks. The 1/8” aluminum diamond plate fenders are stout and you could probably have them added as an option.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,273 Posts
Maybe. Or I can do that down the road too.
You might be able to attach some carpeted board on those fenders if you have room, I was just thinking along the lines of keeping that pretty new hull from rubbing against the inside of the fenders while loading. I have guide on poles and my bow bunks keep my hull centered when power loading and I don’t have anything on the inside of mine.

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's a great price and would make a good dry launch.
I thought it was too good to be true, but I called and confirmed it. The guy said he was going to raise the price, but decided to leave it low as an advertisement of sorts. He just hopes the guys who buy them like them enough to come back and give him more business down the road. That seems like a stand up attitude to me, and a good business practice.

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might be able to attach some carpeted board on those fenders if you have room, I was just thinking along the lines of keeping that pretty new hull from rubbing against the inside of the fenders while loading. I have guide on poles and my bow bunks keep my hull centered when power loading and I don’t have anything on the inside of mine.
Guides of some kind will be put on, and I might carpet the inside of the fenders if needed some how. But to be honest it's gonna be a 20ft/20mph's paint job I think.

·
Brandon, FL
10,088 Posts
How wide is your hull at the chines?
How high is the fender above the beam?
What is the dead rise of your hull in inches?

This will tell you how high you may need to raise the bunks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thank you for posting this! A new trailer is next on my list and this will work perfect. I would probably make a couple mods to it but nothing major.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I bought a boat in Key West for stupid cheap. But it didn't have a trailer due to a recent hurricane. I was in a pinch to find one fast. I ended up finding Karavan. I picked it up from the factory direct. I gave them the dimensions over the phone. Picked it up from them on he way down. And it fit the boat like a glove. The everyone I had contact with there was super helpful. I had that trailer for several years trouble free. It was a galvanized model. Don't think they were doing aluminum way back then. I wouldn't hesitate going with another trailer from them. Except for the fact Ramlin has spoiled me. But that trailer looks damn nice as well. And the price is on point.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Continental makes a good trailer for the same price. It has aluminium fenders instead of the plastic ones. But has traditional springs instead of the torsion axle.

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've looked at the continental already. If memory serves it's either 92 or 98 inches wide, which is just way overkill and takes up more space then what I need. Also along with the standard springs it had standard hubs, not the sure lube style, and didn't have LED lights. It wasn't bad, but the Karavan is a much better value

·
BBA Counselor
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More outboards get stolen then trailers, so I guess you better sell yours off fast.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I have had more boat stuff stolen than I would like .

The trailer you purchased would be my dream trailer for sure .

I even have video surveillance on my trailer when I am out on the water ...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts