Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.... got hit today sitting at a red light.

Details:

Wasn’t a hard hit but I did feel it a little.

She hit my prop.

I had my motor on the trailering bracket(?) and not down.

No visible damage to anything of mine (her bumper, plastic, had a slight dent)

Prop spins free. Engages in forward/neutral/reverse without and added pressure or excessive noises.
This was done at the house while running on a hose.

My question is with everything looking to be ok should I be overly concerned?

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Take your rig to an authorized service center for your make and have them do a thorough evaluation... If there's a problem you want to learn about it before you're on the water again... Consider it preventive and precautionary... You might actually need to file a claim with your insurance carrier if there's drive train damage... since that sort of stuff can turn into real money...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take your rig to an authorized service center for your make and have them do a thorough evaluation... If there's a problem you want to learn about it before you're on the water again... Consider it preventive and precautionary... You might actually need to file a claim with your insurance carrier if there's drive train damage... since that sort of stuff can turn into real money...
Called a couple around here. Earliest I may can take it in is after the 4th.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
sounds about right... I'm surprised that any motor service even has time to answer the phone the week before the 4th ( and the week after the 4th won't be much better).. Good luck, hope you don't have any damage to your motor.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
223 Posts
I assume you checked over your trailer good. When that happened to me most of the force traveled through the transom saver and into the trailer Cross beam. I had to file a claim to cover some trailer parts but my motor and prop were pretty much unscathed.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nevermind if you weren’t using a transom saver. Just noticed you said trailering bracket.
Yeah it was on the bracket. All three straps, bow and both transom, were still tight so I don’t believe any of what little force there was was transferred to the trailer.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Man, this happens too often. Three of my friends have had this happen. Every time I come to a stop, I am watching my rear view with clenched teeth. I put yellow reflector tape on my platform frame at most drivers eye level. That seems to help, but only at night. I have thought about flying a red flag. Does anyone have a better solution? Sorry this happened to you and I hope that there is no damage.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I do a bit of trailering (serious understatement since I'm on the road towing 20,000 to 24,000 miles a year - for some years now...) and here's what I came up with long ago... You just have to ease up a bit and make a point of never being in a situation where you have to stop suddenly (if that's possible...). Every morning I'm on the road when I'm booked so early that I rarely face much trouble on the 93 mile run down to Flamingo or Chokoloskee (each are equi-distant from my house...). Every afternoon, though, it's strictly combat driving as far as I'm concerned....

I double or triple my following distance in heavy traffic and make a point of trying to be in the farthest lane to the right if traffic will allow. I'm very fond of big rigs since no one but me is willing to follow one - and if you keep your distance they'll reduce the adventure of towing... Lastly - I won't go faster than 65 towing - unless I'm passing someone - then it's hammer down until I clear them and slow back down to 65 once I'm clear...

None of this is fool-proof and you really do need to keep your head on a swivel when towing... I have an advantage over most since back when I was in police work I went through every defensive driving course that was offered (and a fair number of pursuit driving courses as well)... As a result I"m very comfortable out on the road - as long as I have cruise control and a good radio station...

I also keep a "french tickler" on the end of my pushpole at all times. It's a short four inch section of pool noodle pushed up on the pointy end of the pole with bright hot pink engineer's tape streamers that alerts idiots that there's a pushpole sticking out behind my rig... I have had my pushpole hit once or twice though usually at crawling speed so it wasn't knocked off of the brackets...

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
You can check shaft for run out , they are tough. Dropped a boat on the ramp years ago( 15+-)folded prop blades backwards 90°. Had prop repaired 150 etec. Still running both. Not trying to be a smart ass, but everyone on this site takes care of their rigs better than most , that said , I’m amazed at some engines are even running w lack of love they have had. Good luck , 99.3 % sure you’ll be good to go
Saw one rig rear ended , knocked it off off trailer into Jeep cj 5. Late 70’s, before phone cameras. No one hurt ,bow eye was sitting over front bumper so pretty,it looked made to fit , nice. “V” in windshield. stay safe

·
Registered
2013 IPB14, 25YAMAHA
31 Posts
I also keep a "french tickler" on the end of my pushpole at all times. It's a short four inch section of pool noodle pushed up on the pointy end of the pole with bright hot pink engineer's tape streamers that alerts idiots that there's a pushpole sticking out behind my rig
I'm borrowing this idea. My pole is too long for me to not have a flag on it, but i hadn't figured out a good way to attach something.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts