Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to make some decisions on what engine to run on a Heron 16 tournament addition? Any suggestion and real works numbers?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm running the tohatsu 50 on mine and really like it so far. Really light and pushes the boat very well. With my 300 lb fishing buddy and me at 165 I'm getting mid 30s. By myself upper 30s. Hole shot is very good. Trim tabs no jack plate. Stock aluminum prop. Got a ss prop on the way that I believe will up all around performance. Mine is the lodge edition FYI.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running the tohatsu 50 on mine and really like it so far. Really light and pushes the boat very well. With my 300 lb fishing buddy and me at 165 I'm getting mid 30s. By myself upper 30s. Hole shot is very good. Trim tabs no jack plate. Stock aluminum prop. Got a ss prop on the way that I believe will up all around performance. Mine is the lodge edition FYI.
I can’t make up my mind between the lodge editor and the tournament. I’d really like to run a 70hp Yamaha so I’ll have better top end for longer runs but I don’t know if it would be worth losing a couple inches of draft oh and paying a good chunk of money more.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Low to mid 30s is pretty fast for a poling skiff. Going from a 50 to a 70 won’t net you much more top end for the draft you will lose. I run 15-20 miles one way to spots fairly often and cruise at 28-30.
Yeah in the end it is going to be more of a shallow water boat than anything else. Might as well save the money and my draft. Now just need to find which 50 to run any suggestions

·
I Love microskiff.com!
391 Posts
Zuke 50 on mine with stock 3 blade SS prop and I get 36-37 with just me. 34-35 with a second person. I ran it with a Solis 3 blade aluminum (my spare) prop for a day and I think I was around 32? Crappy holeshot, but it would get me home.

Stock SS 3 blade is adequate at best. Holeshot is ok but feels like it wants to blow out if I hammer it. Next project is to work with PowerTech to get the prop dialed in.

I’d agree with Smack. Mid 30’s in this hull feels plenty fast enough.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I didn't know if I was going to like the lodge at first but I'm very happy with it. Only thing I'm not thrilled with is the black live well. It's bigger than it looks though. The guy I bought it from went with the lodge bc he was able to get it much faster from salt marsh than the tournament.
As far as the 50 and speed, like others have said its plenty fast. Especially when ripping a creek or flat. Going from my action craft with a 115, I don't feel like I'm goin much slower. I haven't had the tohatsu long enough to comment on reliability though. I do know that their warranty is now 7 years on them instead of 5.

It looks like your pretty close me... If you want to shoot down to palm coast let me know and you can take a first hand look.

·
Banned
276 Posts
I didn't know if I was going to like the lodge at first but I'm very happy with it. Only thing I'm not thrilled with is the black live well. It's bigger than it looks though. The guy I bought it from went with the lodge bc he was able to get it much faster from salt marsh than the tournament.
As far as the 50 and speed, like others have said its plenty fast. Especially when ripping a creek or flat. Going from my action craft with a 115, I don't feel like I'm goin much slower. I haven't had the tohatsu long enough to comment on reliability though. I do know that their warranty is now 7 years on them instead of 5.

It looks like your pretty close me... If you want to shoot down to palm coast let me know and you can take a first hand look.
You'll absolutely dig the Tohatsu. No issues there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yeah if that isn’t to much of a pain I’d love to come check it out. What features do you have on it?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,262 Posts
Yeah in the end it is going to be more of a shallow water boat than anything else. Might as well save the money and my draft. Now just need to find which 50 to run any suggestions
Run the Tohatsu 50 and worry more about hole shot (with the right prop) than top end IMHO.

Maybe wait for the 60 if not in a rush...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
391 Posts
For me it was Lodge edition hands down. Cheaper, a bit less weight and better looking. Subjective, I know. Old school simple. Beautiful lines. I’ve also never liked toe rails. Toe stubber to me.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Now just need to find which 50 to run any suggestions
If you are going to to go with the 50 go with the Tohatsu all the way. It is a really nice motor. If you go 60, I'd go E-tec or Suzuki. It also depends on what service you have close to you. I'd also go with the tournament edition. Get the nice finish and finished hatches. You'll appreciate them more in the long run. Let me know if you need pricing or one spec'd out for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you are going to to go with the 50 go with the Tohatsu all the way. It is a really nice motor. If you go 60, I'd go E-tec or Suzuki. It also depends on what service you have close to you. I'd also go with the tournament edition. Get the nice finish and finished hatches. You'll appreciate them more in the long run. Let me know if you need pricing or one spec'd out for you.
So I’m assuming the lodge edition will have a the same quality of fit and finish as a shadowcast right? I just don’t know if it’s worth another 6k for the tournament addition for what I do. And is the lodge rated for a max 50 because of weight or power?

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
So I’m assuming the lodge edition will have a the same quality of fit and finish as a shadowcast right? I just don’t know if it’s worth another 6k for the tournament addition for what I do. And is the lodge rated for a max 50 because of weight or power?
The fit and finish on the ShadowCast is nothing to sneeze at. It is not the finish that was when it first came out back in 2012 which was very utilitarian....but yes it would be like today's ShadowCast. The price difference between the Lodge and TE is not $6k. If you want livewell capabilities or finished hatches then yes I think it would be worth the difference....unless that is not a priority. The Lodge is rated for a 50 because of the weight difference with there being no finished pan and liner.

Reactions: Fritz

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The fit and finish on the ShadowCast is nothing to sneeze at. It is not the finish that was when it first came out back in 2012 which was very utilitarian....but yes it would be like today's ShadowCast. The price difference between the Lodge and TE is not $6k. If you want livewell capabilities or finished hatches then yes I think it would be worth the difference....unless that is not a priority. The Lodge is rated for a 50 because of the weight difference with there being no finished pan and liner.
I know if I were to build it the same way as the lodge but with a 60 it would only be about 3500 more but if I’m gonna do it I would rather buy a 70hp Yamaha which takes it up to being over 6k more.

What is the weight difference between the tournament and the lodge? And is the draft a little more on the tournament?

And I just sold my shadowcast last week it was a 2017 and I was very pleased with the fit and finish on it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts