Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone used ram mounts for their GPS/fishfunders? If so, do they work and hold your plotter in place while is rough water? Or do you have to keep readjusting and they fall over?
Might pull the trigger in one but if they do nothing but fall or you always have to readjusted then it’s a waste of time.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have used my Ram Mount on my Hummingbird 898 GPS/Sonar for 8 years with no problems. Ram makes different size balls and if you get one too small it could fall over in rough water. I got the 2" ball and I have not had any problems in rough water. The only thing with mine is after about 5 years the black paint flaked off but did not affect the performance of the mount. You can see my set up at the 1:30 mark on this video:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've used the ram mount for several years with a Garmin 541s (GPS only)on my 15' skiff inshore and my 22' walk around offshore. Works great,no flopping about what so ever in any conditions. I have a ball mount on each boat so that I can use the GPS on either with no hassles.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I’ve recently added a gps unit to the boat using a ram mount. I trailer 60-75 miles to launch. While it has only been a few trips I haven’t had any issues.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got a Humminbord Helix 7 on a ram mount 4" arm and 1.5" ball and a 4" piranah on one, both have held up well for a year now, probably 2000 road miles and 25 days on the water.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the feedback! Looks like a good product and something that doesn’t always have to be adjusted and moved.

·
Registered
329 Posts
RAM works OK but are like the Mcdonalds of mounts. If you want something in every respect much better look at CiscoFishingsystems.com or Balzoutllc.com.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
Balzout?

What is it with fishing gear companies...everything has to include "reel" or a "Z" in it somewhere along with "Xtreme"...its just a matter of time before someone calls their company "Reel Xtreme Filetz"or some other nonsense...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Cisco link doesnt work. Balzout looks like a great product, but I have to agree with crboggs, the name is a complete turn off, and the poor website doesnt help. You've basically got to rely on facebook to get any images of them in use.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a Garmin Echomap 54cv on my Cayenne with the medium arm and 1.5” ball, no vibration issues. If you get the RAM get their cable cover that mounts under the mount for a cleaner install

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,413 Posts
Just replaced my RAM mount with a permanent tray/cup/rod holder configuration. I would not buy another RAM. No matter how much I tightened, it would always work loose. May have had a bad one, but the aluminum tray was the perfect solution.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts