Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '96 Maverick Mirage. Its a bit heavy compared to newer boats, not as flashy as most, but it's paid for, runs great and is a much better boat then I am a fisherman.
The only issues I have with it are
1.) the poling platform on older boats seem to be way off the back of the boat. Newer platforms seem to curve towards the bow to center the weight of the poler more "On" the boat as opposed to behind it. I would imagine this is to keep the boat from sinking in the rear end when poling...?? Not much I can do about that without purchasing a new platform from somewhere.

2.) The other issue is the height of the console. It must've been built for someone who is about 5'8" tall in order to stand when driving the boat. I am 6'2". I have to really reach for the wheel and controls in order to stand up and run the craft. The console is in perfect shape...is there anyway to insert a plastic base (or some other material) in order to raise it 2"-3" without spending a bucketful of $$$$?
Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
BBA Counselor
6,919 Posts
It might be easier to glass in a pod under the steering wheel to raise it up.

Is it a tilt wheel? If not adding a tilt will raise it a few inches too.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,301 Posts
Ensure you have enough control cable and wiring to raise the console. If you are going to go through the trouble to elevate it, elevate it enough to be comfortable. (Buy or build a new console if you are serious)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've looked at tilt wheels and was thinking that may be enough lift to solve the problem.
I also realize that to do it right...I should do it right and get a good console put in there. I haven't checked the length of the steering cable, electronics, etc. That would definitely be a good place to start.
Thanks for all the feedback from everyone. I've never really done fiberglass work other then small repairs. A little hesitant to mess up my toy.

It must be windy in other places too...not really worth going gout there today with it blowing all over the place. Or I'm just lazy today.

·
Brandon, FL
10,161 Posts
One of the manufacturers make an extension kit to raise the wheel. Not sure which one but I have seen them on a couple different occasions.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
I Love microskiff.com!
63 Posts
Pics of my raised console. I run the boat from rear deck and seat is hinged to swing down and out of the way.

upload_2019-2-27_15-23-48.png

upload_2019-2-27_15-24-58.png

upload_2019-2-27_15-25-10.png

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a really cool set up!! The amount thought and work that went into that boat is incredible. Super clean looking inside the cockpit.
The woodwork on that boat is amazing. What do you put on the wood to protect it? I was thinking of actually using something like that to build a 3" base under the original console to raise it that way.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Tilt helms are real specific w orientation of the tilt. Not the best option for small console
I've looked at tilt wheels and was thinking that may be enough lift to solve the problem.
I also realize that to do it right...I should do it right and get a good console put in there. I haven't checked the length of the steering cable, electronics, etc. That would definitely be a good place to start.
Thanks for all the feedback from everyone. I've never really done fiberglass work other then small repairs. A little hesitant to mess up my toy.

It must be windy in other places too...not really worth going gout there today with it blowing all over the place. Or I'm just lazy today.
u
Also great time to replace cables etc.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
63 Posts
That is a really cool set up!! The amount thought and work that went into that boat is incredible. Super clean looking inside the cockpit.
The woodwork on that boat is amazing. What do you put on the wood to protect it? I was thinking of actually using something like that to build a 3" base under the original console to raise it that way.
Thanks! We are proud of her. We used AwlWood by Awlgrip. Stuff is amazing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts