Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

R. L. Winston Nimbus

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  sjestok 
#1 ·
Gonna be in the market soon for a new 8wt as my recent desire to do more traveling will likely make me sell my one piece 8wt. Haven’t seen any info online about the Nimbus for saltwater application, and next to none have sold on here. Is that because it’s a good rod and people are holding onto them? What’s the consensus on the rod? What’s the action like? What are its best applications?
Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
No first-hand experience with the Nimbus, but from what I recall reading about it the "trout weights" were considered to be a good rod for the price. Not sure whether that translated into the heavier/salt weights. "Mid-priced" is relative, but I have cast the TFO Axiom II-X 8 wt and liked it quite a bit; on the stiff side and not a ton of feel, but still accurate at close range (030-40') and very good at 55'+. The Sage Maverick is also a nice stick, but about $300 more than the TFO. So as mentioned above "mid-priced" is relative, but those probably would be my top two FWIW.

#4 ·
I have the 6wt and it is my baby for smallmouth or Trout when I need a 6. It is very accurate and the line lays down beautifully. I also have an 7wt and love it within 50 ft. The 9wt and 10wt I had just didn't have the punch the line laid down so gently and it's a slow smooth action they stopped making that rod because it felt like their other $1000 rods and why undercut when they can't even keep up production on their high end rods? So they cut out all mid priced rods. I think it's a steal for the $350-400 you can find them at. It's a winston...top grade cork and materials the only thing missing is "boron" maybe that's what made the butt softer but oh man the line cast really gentle on this one. Reminds me of the saltwater Air but not as much punch.

#5 ·
I may have found an 8wt for sale at a good price and this is great knowledge. Most of my shots are pretty close anyhow. Any specific line you line most for the 7wt? Does it like a more true to weight line? Any specific taper better than others?

#6 ·
From my experience it likes the true to line weight. I have one in a 6 and 7 wt, and sold the ones I had in 9wt and 10wt. The 10wt was actually a bomber believe it or not, but the 9wt just wouldn't punch through the wind, the same for the 7wt. I ended up keeping the 7wt because it just lays the line down so soft and fun to cast on those calm days. The 6wt stays on as my small mouth bass river rod. I got them on closeout thats why I had so many. I think that was an incredible deal for a made in USA rod with incredible flor grade cork and accessories. It will struggle in the wind though it lays the line down like a dry fly rod if that makes sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.