Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys keep a quiver of the same rods in every size needed, or am I just ocd, would there be any benefit to mixing n matching rod brands for different uses? I tend to use a motive 8wt which is my favorite rod to throw, but had a predator in 6, 10,12 so I just ordered an 8wt to round it out because of ocd. now to get the 10 and 12 motives.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
You'll never have enough rods.... and if you start building your own -each one will be built for a different purpose... In the backcountry of the Everglades I use a range of rods - but if I had to, and didn't need a rod for big tarpon, I could do everything with only two rods - an 8wt with a floating line and a 10wt with an intermediate line...

·
Registered
198 Posts
At last count I own 28 fly rods and I am not OCD. Obsessed? Probably. Dumass? Definitely. Having said that, I don't own the same rod brand in every weight. When I was fishing fly rod tournaments, I had several rods that were exactly the same in one weight. For example if the tournament was for bass, I had 3 identical eight weights and reels. One was rigged with dry line for a top water fly, one was rigged with dry line and a sinking fly and one was rigged with a sink tip and a streamer fly. The thinking was that I could quickly choose the correct fly for the situation without changing the feel of the rod and therefore cast more accurately with each change. In short, that didn't work. Not with fly rods anyway. Even though I was throwing an identical rod, the weight change from a floating fly to a weighted fly makes a significant difference in how you perform the cast. Even more so when going from a floating line to a sinking line. The difference in how you cast them is night and day. So, using the exact same rod to maintain the same casting feel did not work. Given this knowledge, my philosophy changed to using the rod that I could throw best for that given technique. It also seems to apply to going up or down in rod size. There is a point when changing rod size that you must also go up or down in reel size to maintain balance. You may also have to completely change the reel type to fit the fish spieces. A trout reel rarely needs any significant drag or line pickup, but if you tried to maintain the same reel make and went up in weight to catch a tarpon, you wouldn't have the right reel for the job. When you change reels and rod weights, it's hard to maintain a consistent feel going up and down rod weight classes. Therefore, by design, most of my rods are different for every situation. Sure I have some favorites that stay the same within a weight or two, but that's it. If I wasn't obsessed I would probably own about a third of what I now have. Something like a 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12. All with a lower cost backup, all in 4 pieces for travel and all with one reel and 2 or 3 spare spools. That would cover 95% of my fishing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.