Questions on Layup process / schedule on skiff

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by cor21e, Jul 29, 2013.

1. cor21e

cor21e I Love microskiff.com!

I am looking to build a boat similar to an ipb 16 or an suv 17 native ankona.

I want to make a plug, then a mold, then a hull. Once i have a nice mold, What kind of lamination schedule would you guys recommend on the finished product on a hull? Also a timeline schedule?

thanks so much

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Timeline....2 plus years for a part time amateur, if you don't lose interest.
    Layup schedule depends on hull shape, framing, stringers, bulkheads and desired horsepower.
    Final cost in materials and tools will be more than a bare hull Ankona.

3. cor21e

It will be 16-17 feet and run a 25 hp to 40 hp. Im not doing it by myself a bunch of friends are investing in the design and work. Then we will pull at least 6 boats off of the mold.

It will be a flat bottom with a v bow. pretty simple setup. What would that schedule look like?

Thanks in advance

4. mudd_minnow

mudd_minnow BE THE LURE

Hey cor21ee,
    I'm rebuilding a boat (slowly) and had a lot of questions on how to repair my 1967 skeeter boat. My flooring and the transome was rotten. I've removed all the flooring and replaced the transome. This has been a fantastic learning experence with the process. The best part is going to a custom boat manufacture and watching the process has been great.

I've been visiting a boat manufacture for the last 8 months. The building process is awsome. I've picked up several (how to ideas) from them. My best advice would be to invest in the time to go to a custom builder, watch their processes, ask good quallity questions and help out where you can. It has been a jaw dropping experences. 

my 2 cents.

5. cor21e

No lamination schedule ideas?

6. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Had to dig around in my old links to find this reference page.
    Explains how scantlings are calculated, excellent white paper
    on the subject with tables and graphs included.

http://proboatradio.com/2012/07/12/rob-schofield-on-scantlings/

The rule of thumb that I was taught is quoted in the white paper:

"Start with 2 layers of mat, then for every 10 feet of hull length 2 plys of mat and woven roving"

7. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

There are a few people on here that could give you a lamination schedule and I think the reason you are not getting specifics is because of liability.

The lamination schedule is determined by the designer/nautical engineer.

Sorry. Try your question on boatdesign.net. Lots of engineers there.