Questions about Seadek..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alex Fernandez, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Alex Fernandez

Alex Fernandez Active Member

I'm contemplating using Seadek in the cockpit of my superskiff and wanted to hear from those
    that have it. My biggest concern is wether or not the Seadeck too hot to walk on. I also want to know how it cleans up and if the adhesive comes loose after a while. Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Red Hooker

Red Hooker Active Member

Seadeck is awesome! However, if you go with a light color, say like a gray, it seems like no matter what, stains never completely wash off. A far as the adhesive goes, good stuff. So good, if you have to remove the Seadek, it can be difficult but achievable.

3. SomaliPirate

SomaliPirate Well-Known Member

I have it on my poling platform and I've never had any issues with it. It provides good grip, feels good on bare feet and cleans up nicely. It does tend to want to hold stains for some reason though.

4. crboggs

crboggs I Love microskiff.com!

The grey seadek can get hot.

I've had to pour water on the casting platform before during tarpon season, to make it tolerable.

I would never consider doing the entire cockpit floor with it.

5. Cam

Cam Well-Known Member

It does stain and if you get any multiple layer custom lettering parts it will come up. The jury is still out on the heat as we always wear at least sandals since we routinely pull over oysters, might drop a hook and miss it, etc. Other than that it is durable and easy on the feet.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  6. Capnredfish

Capnredfish Well-Known Member

I like it, grey gets unbearably hot. Cleans easy when new. Withstands bleach and pressure washing well. Not so easy to clean after 5-6 years. Have white on casting platform. Near impossible to keep nice. Takes serious scrubbing.Will I redo my skiff with it? Yes.

7. CPurvis

CPurvis Well-Known Member

Speaking of Sea Dek! Seadek is offering 20% off their in stock items as well as free shipping til12/13. Some great deals.

Fritz likes this.
  8. schwaggen01

schwaggen01 I Love microskiff.com!

IMG_0331.JPG I have it in the cockpit- tan with light sand grooves- very comfortable, so far easy to clean, doesn't get too hot, and seems to make the boat quieter. I was skeptical, but one of the guides I fish with has it, and if can stand up to his 250+ days a year, then good enough for my civilian use. Really happy I did it.

Fritz and CPurvis like this.
  9. coconutgroves

coconutgroves Well-Known Member

I have light blue and also grey. Never had a heat issue with them. Stains are another issue though - they do stain. Softscrub bleach and good plastic brush will lighten it up, but it takes some elbow grease.

sabaird1221 likes this.
  10. Capnredfish

Capnredfish Well-Known Member

How do you guys not have a heat problem? I never do either. That is until, the middle of summer and it's 97 degrees out. Then the floor must be cooled down with water. It's that hot. The white does not get hot.

11. CaptDanS

CaptDanS Active Member

On my Bonefish I have AquaTraction. It is pretty much stain resistant as it is a closed cell product.Guy came to the boat digital measured it and when it was done came back and installed it.
    VERY reasonable.

http://www.aquatraction.com

12. HBFanatic

HBFanatic Well-Known Member

13. hunterbrown

hunterbrown I Love microskiff.com!

I would never put seadek anywhere other than platforms or under gunnels just because it is so hard to get off. I took 9 year old seadek out of my old gladesmen and it took at least a full day to get most of the adhesive off. The floor was so bad after that I ended up sanding it all down and doing awl grip. This was on a skiff with no liner so it may be different on molded gel coat but I still wouldn't recommend it.

14. Smallfly

Smallfly Member

I have had the faux teak on my cockpit floor for 2 yrs. no issues, no stains and you can literally power wash it to clean. Bare feet has not been an issue for me. Great stuff!