Question(s) for BT Mosquito owners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by billeh, Jul 18, 2017.

1. billeh

billeh Active Member

I've read through all the build threads (at least I don't think I've missed any) and I really like this boat in theory. Still need to get on one, but I'm taking baby steps right now. I'd be using it in the Tampa/St. Pete area. Currently have a Scout 187 Sportfish that I'm trying to get rid of (warranty issues) and the Mosquito that BT has currently in inventory is looking mighty juicy right now.

Anyways, I have a few questions:

1. I'm a big guy. 6'3", 250lbs competitive powerlifter (so weight will fluctuate anywhere from 275 down to 240 or so). Is the Mosquito enough boat for me to pole safely?

2. Capacity - Can this boat handle me on the platform (see size above) plus 2 anglers fishing?

3. Trolling motors - I went through the build threads and probably missed it, but what are you guys running for trolling motors? Is a 12V 55 enough or would it be wise to step up to a 24V 70/80?

4. Big water capability - how comfortable is this boat in big bay conditions? Those that live in the Tampa area know what I'm talking about. Can this thing run all over the bay or would it be better to put in at a ramp close to where I'd plan on fishing and stick close to those areas?

Thanks!

2. MSG

MSG I Love microskiff.com!

I have not been on the mosquito, but I own a vengeance. It seems like it may be the perfect boat for. It will fish 2 Anglers plus yourself with no problem. It's stable like an aircraft carrier - floats in about 9 inches of water and is great on the pole. Even if you get the vengeance on Open Water like that when the chop really picks up it's not super comfortable to be on it. The boat will handle it no problem and is very very dry, but I would always put in closer to where I wanted to fish if it's really blowing- why pound through it any more than you need to?I live in Biscayne Bay and I assume it's fairly similar. I'm sure you could fish the mosquitoand it would work great for you, but there's no way it will be as stable and comfortable and have as much big water capability as the Vengeance will. You would probably lose about 2 inches in draft - that's the question how important is that added draft. My personal experience is that at least where I fish the difference in draft would not really gain me all that much, but the comfort, ability to handle Open Water, and tarpon fish on the outside is greatly improved by the slightly larger boat.

billeh likes this.

3. billeh

billeh Active Member

If money were no object I'd already be in a Vengeance. That's the boat I actually want but know we can't afford at the moment. That and I think the Vengeance will just barely fit in my garage width-wise, with very little to no margin. The Mosquito I know will fit perfectly. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  4. Zika

Zika Forgotten Coaster

1. I'm also 6' 3" and weigh about 230. No issues at all for me on the platform, but I have been poling for 20+ years.
    2. The Mosquito is best suited for two passengers. Will it handle you on the platform and 2 anglers? Yes, it will but you'll be sacrificing draft, it'll be close quarters and your anglers better be coordinated.
    3. Transferred my Motor Guide Xi5 12-volt from my last skiff (BT Micro) to the new Mosquito. Pulls the Mosquito just fine at low to moderate speeds. Rarely have to run it on high but it zips right long when I do. Have a dedicated Odyssey battery that lasts all day with plenty of juice left over.
    4. I have had my skiff in open exposed water, similar to Tampa Bay, multiple times. it performs exceptionally well with trim and tab adjustments. Dry and smooth ride!
    That said, I still launch at the closest ramp where I'll be fishing. Would rather spend time hunting fish than making long runs if they can be avoided.

billeh and FSUDrew99 like this.
  5. billeh

billeh Active Member

Thanks for the input! Honestly it's sounding like I might just want to hold out for a Vengeance (or similar). The one they currently have in inventory is listed at more than we're comfortable spending, but I may be able to get them to quote one with fewer upgrades (it has Livorsi, a 115, and a lot of other options). I'd like to comfortably fish 2 plus myself on the platform and be able to get outside off the flats during the spring tarpon migration.

MSG, how does yours move with the 90?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  6. MSG

the 90 is super on the boat -cruise around 30 to32 - upper 30's top end with the 4 blade prop

billeh likes this.
  7. MSG

pm sent

billeh likes this.