Question: Fuel/Water Separator Installation Location

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Apeacock, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Apeacock

Apeacock I Love microskiff.com!

I am installing a Racor 10 micron fuel water separator on my Pathfinder 17T. I was curious if I could install the filter in the bow storage area(directly adjacent to the tank - about 18" from my anti-siphon valve) instead of in the stern compartment, behind the gas line bulb. Please let me know if anybody has any thoughts on this.

My goal is to free up as much space as possible in the stern compartment and am also trying to distribute weight proportionately on the starboard/port side of the boat, while at the same time ensuring that no water gets to my 2 stroke.

Thanks in advance for replies and feedback.

2. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Mine was in the rear hatch just behind the bulk head. The best place is as close to the motor as possible but before the fuel bulb.

3. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

most are installed in the bilge for obvious resaons however i think it will work either way. having it as close to the motor as possible would be ideal

4. Apeacock

Apeacock I Love microskiff.com!

Thank you both for your feedback - have a good week.

5. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

I've got to say think about accessing it. Can you service it at night and in less than ideal conditions? The time may come when you need to dump it at the worst possible time.

Frank_S