question for you guys with a nice lawn

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cutrunner, Jun 13, 2014.

1. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

My lawn sucks, first off. The house is nice but the lawn is bringing it down. My land is about as close to sugar sand as one can get. Seems like the only reason theres green in my yard is cuz of the weeds. I want to get a bunch of grass seed and some fertilizer now that its raining good every day. What is a good grass that can hold up to sugar sand?
    Bahia?
    When we first moved in, it was in the deal that the yard was going to get 're sided. And it did, but they used st Augustine, which I like but after 4 months, no amount of water or fertilizer could save it.

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Nothing will thrive in that type of soil.

What you need to do is to have the sand scooped out and replaced with black dirt.

Minerals do not adhere to sand and are washed right on through so the more you water it the faster you wash any nutrients that might be there away.

You ever pay attention to someone else's yard where they re-sod and to see it 4 months later and it is shot? What most re-sodders do is to throw the sod on top of the crap that is there. What that does is to trap the disease that is in the old lawn under the new sod and it is warm and moist, so guess what happens to the fungi?

You have to have soil that holds nutrients and if you don't you will not have a nice lawn.

Sorry Cut.

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

What he said. Only way to have a lawn on sugar sand is hydroponics.
    That means a lawn service applying fertilizer, anti-fungals and pesticides year round,
    then running your irrigation system as often as local code enforcement allows.
    Problem is, this is Florida and the water table is just a few feet down,
    so all those pesticides, fungicides and fertilizer wash down through the sand
    and contaminate the ground water. I gave up on having just grass.
    I don't mow the lawn, I level the vegetation. I don't care what it is,
    if it'll grow and it's green, I mow it. :cool:

4. cutrunner

Thats exactly where im at.

Well there is at least one upside to the sugar sand. When it floods, I never have more than in inch of standing water for more than an hour. The rest of the town is underwater..

I wasn't around when the area my house was built on was still untouched land but given its geography in relation to thewater its right about where the scrub area would be. There ain't much grass in the scrubs.
    its funny because near the end of my street, on the water, where the 3 million dollar houses are they have golf course grass and all kinds of exotic plants. And their soil is super dark and rich. The must have had a truck come out and dump a foot or two of artificial topsoil or something

5. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

pretend you live in the the Keys and make yourself a pea rock yard ----no watering or cutting [smiley=bier.gif]

6. cutrunner

Haha heck yea.
    then I would have more room for derelict boats!

7. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

New St Augustine, sprinkler system, and a lawn spraying service. If you dont have the sprinkler system or spraying service dont waste your time, just cut your weeds :)

8. Recidivists

Recidivists Looking towards the weekend!

Anything is possible with the required amount of maintenance, but it sounds like heavily seeding with Bahia would be your ticket. If you wanted to kill whatever is there first, you could do multiple applications of glyphosate or you could put black visqueen down over everything for a couple of weeks. Weed seeds will always come back, but at least you will start with a level playing field. You'll have to start immediately, though. You want as much summer rain as possible.

Remember, that the first key to a proper lawn is mowing practice. A St. Augustine lawn requires multiple proper practices, but I've found that proper mowing practice is required for all grasses.

http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/yourfloridalawn/turfgrass_selection.shtml

9. topnative2

glyphosate = Roundup ;)

cheapest is bleach

10. Capnredfish

Capnredfish Well-Known Member

Sandy soil=chinch bugs which come out this time of year with rain and warm temps. Biphen XT is the only effective answer along with fertilizer and new sod. You might mix in some things to improve the soil before sodding so it holds some moisture when rain is infrequent.

11. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

Zoysia was a good choice for my old lawn. It seems to do well in a lot of different applications. Less water, weeds once established and the bugs don't infest like they would St Augustine. Bahia is a good cheap alternative but like others have said, your wasting your time unless you have a sprinkler system. Unless, of course, you don't mind standing in the yard every evening with a beer in one hand and a nozzle in the other ;D

12. fishicaltherapist

fishicaltherapist I Love microskiff.com!

3-4 inches of the pea rock and PAINT IT GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Then go fish! :eek:

13. cutrunner

Im tempted to just get an artificial golf course grass lawn.

14. topnative2

paint the sand ----- then walk the dog----- nobody could tell the difference

15. Capt. Eli Whidden

Capt. Eli Whidden Sight Fishing South Florida

Zoysia where you need grass, xeriscape everything else. Fish more, less yard matainence!