Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some background of the conditions.
Green clean water, fished both high rising & falling, 3rd. morning of a full moon tide.
No wind, slick, glass like water, bluebird sky. Morning after a heavy overnight rain storm.

Yesterday we fished topwater all morning from first light till noon.
Because it was getting hit, every place we stopped we were catching Trout.
Some typical blowups without hook ups, the kind where the Trout make that telltale "gulping" sound.
Other times violent explosions where the lure would be slapped out of the water several inches, several times. 4 or 5 slaps a few times, without that "gulping" sound.
We were close enough to see the Trout following & attacking with its tail.
Like they wanted to kill the lure or at least get it out of their surroundings.

My question is: Has any hardcore Trout diehards experienced this, what cause this abnormal behavior.
Thanks .....ICM

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Anytime that fish behave that way - go to something other than topwater.. As much as I love it when there's topwater action - most days I make a point of having only one angler using topwater and my second angler tossing a small leadhead with a Gulp tail or a small bucktail tipped with a tiny bit of shrimp...

Fish that just nip or boil (or tail) on a topwater will kill something sub-surface that's follows behind it.... and that's not just the trout...

By the way - the very first topwater bait I'll hand a beginner is a simple stick bait with a prop at each end... I tell my angler to let it sit then snap it so that the props turn hard for about six inches -then just let it sit for a bit - then repeat... When a trout finally has had enough of that it will do its best to kill that plug (whether it's moving or not...)... Mirrolure still offers the #21 lure, a stick bait with props - but these days it comes with freshwater hooks... which we change out as they begin to rust....

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
14,933 Posts
You stated it in the first paragraph- “slick calm bluebird day”. The smaller trout are more voracious and ignorant so they will typically eat just about anything when the bite is on. The larger females aren’t as silly and will make that telltale slurp sound when they aren’t as dedicated to killing something on top, especially a topwater that can now be easily inspected due to the conditions. When there’s some ripple or better yet chop on the water the bigger girls will be more prone to really blow up on a topwater. Mirrolure topwaters aren’t my favorite for trout but they’ll work. I like to fish a Spook One Knocker in the Baby Trout color when I want to weed out the smaller trout and have a better chance of hanging a big one without going too big like a full sized three hook Super Spook. The One Knocker is a great in between the Spook Jr and full sized Super Spook and has one big BB that knocks instead of rattling. I’ve hunted and caught hundreds of trout well over 25” up to a 36” plus that I’ve been stalking and figuring out for over 5 years now. She comes out on a big sand flat next to the ICW every February for a few days and hangs out.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was fishing the a Spook one-knocker in Speckled Trout color.
I also like your answer but still doesn't explain why they were slapping the lure out of the water with their tale. They were close enough to see that happening. This wasn't just a missed hook up, but several explosive knocked clear out of the water blow ups, coming down & slapped out again & again.......ICM

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
14,933 Posts
Big trout can knock topwaters right out of the water without getting hooked. If it is smaller trout then your hooks are probably not sharp. Secret#1: VMC Cone cut hooks. For big trout Secret #2: Yo-Zuri 3.5" sinking crystal minnow jerk bait. For the place Secret #3: Zephyr Cove / Sand flat next to ICW. View attachment 97170 LOL
I’ll let you slide since them’s surf trout...haha
When they don’t eat tops chunk a Fatboy
Fishing Recreational fishing Fish Outdoor recreation Recreation
Fish Fishing Fish Recreational fishing Fisherman

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Not a hook sharpness problem, not a smaller topwater lure issue.
Will take your advise on the Yo-Zuri 3.5" sinking crystal minnow jerk bait. Thanks.
Prefer Rapala X-Raps suspending jerk bait, lately MirrOlure lipped L-29 has also worked great. Had both tied on & with us.
But I wanted to only catch them on topwaters. Perfect conditions are sometimes rare.

Saw them, even caught the biggest close to 3# dead sticking after getting slapped several times.
Got my confirmation from a local expert & master Trout angler Capt. Lee Parsons yesterday in a phone call.

Mystery solved Trout tail slap lures to kill bait fish. Or annoying lures invading their comfort zone......ICM

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,534 Posts
I was fishing the waterway just east of Lockwood's Folly inlet one Memorial Day weekend. Water was 12' deep, you know where I'm talking about. Kept seeing a tail, too far away for the fly rod. As it got closer I cast toward it with a glass minnow fly. Tail kept coming up, fish finally hit three times before I hooked it. Gator. Size two hook.

Reactions: Ice Cream Man

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
14,933 Posts
Not a hook sharpness problem, not a smaller topwater lure issue.
Will take your advise on the Yo-Zuri 3.5" sinking crystal minnow jerk bait. Thanks.
Prefer Rapala X-Raps suspending jerk bait, lately MirrOlure lipped L-29 has also worked great. Had both tied on & with us.
But I wanted to only catch them on topwaters. Perfect conditions are sometimes rare.

Saw them, even caught the biggest close to 3# dead sticking after getting slapped several times.
Got my confirmation from a local expert & master Trout angler Capt. Lee Parsons yesterday in a phone call.

Mystery solved Trout tail slap lures to kill bait fish. Or annoying lures invading their comfort zone......ICM
Glad you got your answer!
What does it take to qualify as a master trout angler?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I consistently have them slapping or short striking on topwater, I'll sometimes change to a floating subsurface like a Mirrolure 7M or a lightly weighted soft plastic and get the eat. Other times I keep throwing that topwater because I like it and the blow ups are fun.
It's all about the seeing the "eat" & topwaters blowups are the best.
You got that right.
We had a limit of Trout already by then.
Got to challenge myself when ever possible.......ICM

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad you got your answer!
What does it take to qualify as a master trout angler?
Not there yet, will let others tell you when I do reach that higher state of enlightenment My Mantra is "The attitude of topwater gratitude......" Namaste

Purity of mind, soul whispering Zen state of being, enlightenment, one with the world is my guess. Or something like that? .......ICM

·
Registered
636 Posts
I've often experienced this. IMO though super calm slicked out days aren't the very best conditions for topwater speck fishing. I like a little bit of a breeze and small chop. Makes it a little harder for them to zone on the bait and I usually get better hookups with windier conditions.
Like some of the others touched on, when they are slapping at it try a subsurface twitch bait. I like the Mirrodine or something like that.

I'm like you though. If I speck fish, I always start with topwater plugs. I enjoy the missed strikes just as much as the hookups. I like to work the plug is sparatic twitches. Pop pop pop, pause, pop pop, pause, pop pop pop pop, pause. Trout will hit it on the pause usually. Learned that from ole CA.

But sometimes man it just be that way. Tides, pressure, etc. Things like that play more of factor in trout more than redfish IMO.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,387 Posts
I was fishing the a Spook one-knocker in Speckled Trout color.
I also like your answer but still doesn't explain why they were slapping the lure out of the water with their tale. They were close enough to see that happening. This wasn't just a missed hook up, but several explosive knocked clear out of the water blow ups, coming down & slapped out again & again.......ICM
They were just messing with you! :)

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
Man why you guys giving away my top secret "switch to a jerkbait" strategy? I patented that.

But seriously, any time I am getting repeated blowups or non-committed strikes or looks I switch to a Mirrodine, jerk shad, whatever your preferred slow suspending presentation is. That's the ticket. I always have some sort of sub surface suspender tied on one of the rods in the boat, its the most versatile rig you can have. If you carry only two rods, they should be a topwater and a suspender. You can always let the suspender sink and work close to the bottom, or keep it up high in the water column, so it can cover a wide range of depths. Then you can throw that Rapala Skitterwalk in the gold and orange color on top. If they dont eat one of those then pack up your shit and hit the tiki bar cuz they ain't bitin.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
14,933 Posts
Man why you guys giving away my top secret "switch to a jerkbait" strategy? I patented that.

But seriously, any time I am getting repeated blowups or non-committed strikes or looks I switch to a Mirrodine, jerk shad, whatever your preferred slow suspending presentation is. That's the ticket. I always have some sort of sub surface suspender tied on one of the rods in the boat, its the most versatile rig you can have. If you carry only two rods, they should be a topwater and a suspender. You can always let the suspender sink and work close to the bottom, or keep it up high in the water column, so it can cover a wide range of depths. Then you can throw that Rapala Skitterwalk in the gold and orange color on top. If they dont eat one of those then pack up your shit and hit the tiki bar cuz they ain't bitin.
Haha

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,987 Posts
Here's some background of the conditions.
Green clean water, fished both high rising & falling, 3rd. morning of a full moon tide.
No wind, slick, glass like water, bluebird sky. Morning after a heavy overnight rain storm.

Yesterday we fished topwater all morning from first light till noon.
Because it was getting hit, every place we stopped we were catching Trout.
Some typical blowups without hook ups, the kind where the Trout make that telltale "gulping" sound.
Other times violent explosions where the lure would be slapped out of the water several inches, several times. 4 or 5 slaps a few times, without that "gulping" sound.
We were close enough to see the Trout following & attacking with its tail.
Like they wanted to kill the lure or at least get it out of their surroundings.

My question is: Has any hardcore Trout diehards experienced this, what cause this abnormal behavior.
Thanks .....ICM
Topwater plug with a subsurface trailer lure, bucktail, grub, paddle tail, jig ect..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.