Question about Outboard Starting

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by jaxflatsfisherman, Jan 8, 2009.

1. jaxflatsfisherman

jaxflatsfisherman Well-Known Member

This might be a pretty dumb question. Anyhow, I have a Yamaha 40 - 4 stroke. When I go to start it, the first time I turn the key, it does not turn over. Sometimes it does that several times, and then it turns over. Is this normal for these engines?

I had a ground post (in same compartment as starting battery) that had corroded due to water getting in. I just replaced this last night. One thing I noticed is that the negative post gets pretty hot after trying to start it. My gut is telling me that it is getting hot because it is a weak point / bottleneck considering the amperage load being put on the system. Is this ok?

2. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

No, it should not be getting hot, that is an indication of too much resistance in the circuit.

You need to clean all of the electrical connections starting at the battery and going to the starter. Did you try it after you replaced your ground block? If it is still getting hot, then you still have some corrosion in the ssytem that needs to go.

3. jaxflatsfisherman

Great thanks. I had checked it with the new posts, but probably just need to really clean the connections off of the wiring.

4. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

I would suspect corrosion as well, but it could very well be from a loose connection as well. Either way check, clean and replace any bad stuff and go from there.

Is the battery wire of a sufficient gauge for that motor? If it's trying to pull a ton of amerage through a puny wire that could cause problems as well.

-T

5. jaxflatsfisherman

Thanks,

Yeah I checked the connections at the ground post tonight and re-cleaned them. I would think they are sufficiently clean to allow for a good connection. Also, wire is plenty heavy (2-4awg or so). It's still getting hot right there. Only on the negative wire........weird.

6. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Use a volt ohm meter,
    check the resistance of your ground cable from end to end.
    If resistance does not equal zero
    get a new cable before you have a serious problem.
    Corrosion can take place inside the insulation
    where you can't see it.

previous post:

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1229296021/0#0