Quest for perfection!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boatbrains, May 15, 2018.

1. Capnredfish

Capnredfish Well-Known Member

2006 B2. Prefer a deck hatch vs bulkhead hatch. Wish it reversed better. At least with my prop. I don’t feel too bad since I had a guide with a HB say the same thing about his directly to me.

Boatbrains likes this.
  2. commtrd

commtrd I Love microskiff.com!

Words of wisdom there. Much dinero paid for my HB Professional and had to go to that trouble (Mac really did it for me) to get the motor sitting right on the JP. But it's done and works sweet.

3. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

Yours was not bad, it’s the ones with a tunnel and no raised transom at all or the transom is lower in the middle where the jackplate bolts up so it’s useless. If a builder just adds a tunnel to a non tunnel hull and does not raise the transom proportionally it’s not worth buying because it will never run right. The OP may not even want a tunnel hull but I think lots of builders are missing out on sales by not offering a tunnel hull model to suit some people’s needs.

Jason, Seymour fish and Boatbrains like this.
  4. Boatbrains

Boatbrains Well-Known Member

Folks, I’m not in the market to “buy” a boat. Not in the market to build “a” boat either. I am simply getting your thoughts for a personal project I am in the very young stages of working on. Please keep your thoughts coming though.

not2shabby likes this.
  5. Seymour fish

Seymour fish Active Member

Stick one on hard sand and call it a skiff. Lmao

not2shabby and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  6. Capnredfish

Capnredfish Well-Known Member

I will add my likes. Everything except my two dislikes. Side console is a must. Ton of space for when you do other things like camping, castAnet shrimping or a little behind an island loving with your lady. And comfort, no awkward shoulder rubbing your fishing buddy while underway. He has his seat and you have yours. Like a car. And no half an ass in your face while operator stands.
    Also like sponson design. It just looks way cooler than a flat transom. Saves space too so that should put that aurgument to bed.

SomaliPirate likes this.
  7. commtrd

Man I really struggled over deciding between a side console or a center console. I still suspect I should have ordered a side console but the boat has a center console so a little late now. If I just really have to have a side console I would just sell it and order a boat set up with the side console. Nice having that room down the middle of the boat.

8. FlyBy

FlyBy I Love microskiff.com!

Now I see where you're going. My preferences:

Sponsons, which move the weight a little forward and allow the poling platform to be farther back. And, yes, I know the second reason somewhat negates the benefit of the first.

Draft 5" if possible. This is the sweet spot for the way I fish.

Speed 28-30 is acceptable. Would like more but not at the expense of shallow draft.

Ability to cross open areas to get to 5" of water. Maybe a bit of Carolina flare. I had to run some rough stuff in ML in Feb. and came close to being arrested for waterboarding my fishing buddy.

Ample dry storage.

Battery storage mid-ship or forward to get some weight out of the back. Not shared with fuel tank.

Large casting deck at bow.

Side console.

Undecided about a tunnel, I don't usually have to run shallow, just pole shallow. My 22' bay boat is a tunnel, which allows a 20" shaft instead of 25". The tunnel isn't large enough to lose much displacement and I can't see any difference in performance in other areas over a non-tunnel. And I do pole the boat sometimes, just not far. I don't know how a tunnel would affect a light skiff as far as poling and displacement.

I would really like the boat well-sealed between hull and cap.

How long before you can start my boat?

Smackdaddy53 and Boatbrains like this.
  9. Boatbrains

Wish I could answer that last question now, but I can’t. You are correct though, that is where this thread is heading. I’ve got to do the whole process the right way though and it takes time and a lot of it. Still very early but have some pretty crazy innovative ideas that I think the floks here and anyone that fishes/uses a small craft will love. More to come on that though, for now keep your thought comin folks!

10. zthomas

zthomas I Love microskiff.com!

Awlgrip nonskid kicks ass. Always had gelcoat until a few month ago. The difference in ease of cleanup is huge. Mud, blood, slime, scales, coffee, red wine, Tabasco, nacho cheese dorito goo — it all comes right off with hose water and a quick brushing. Plus it's grippier and looks better.

SomaliPirate likes this.
  11. zthomas

zthomas I Love microskiff.com!

Hear hear!

12. ifsteve

ifsteve Well-Known Member

So you are really doing market research.....

13. SomaliPirate

SomaliPirate Well-Known Member

Biggest single pet peeve about my 17T (aside from broken transom): The "self draining" cockpit. More like a self flooding cockpit. I wish the cockpit drained to the bilge. I'd rather have a pair of bilge pumps wired separately for peace of mind. The current design makes it a pain in the ass to wash the boat, since the water never drains out fully. Add to that the fact that my wife cannot go fishing without a 44oz Big Gulp fountain Coke which she invariably spills in the cockpit. This results in me having to rest my feet in 1/8" of sloshing Coke in the floor while I pilot the skiff.

crboggs likes this.
  14. Boatbrains

Yes and no, just curious what ya’ll are looking for. I have been in the industry since I could legally work so have an idea anyway. Really just excited about a concept that I have envisioned and starting to draft! I almost can’t wait to bring it to ya’ll for the thimbs up/down but I have to at this point. Keep’em comin though!

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  15. commtrd

Ouch! Grounds to start looking for a different boat.

On another item: What do yall think about the poling platform moved a little more forward and lower? For better stability and ease of access. Also debatable is necessity of a live well. Especially since it seems they are always located right near the stern, right where the added weight of all that water does the most harm to clean fast hole shot. I had them do the plumbing and all for the livewell but obviously it's never gonna get used for that long as I own the boat. Could have saved a few sheckels by not ordering with the livewell plumbing. Just a few thoughts from using the boat and thinking about what I would have done different etc.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  16. SomaliPirate

I wouldn't bother with a livewell if I were doing a new build. I don't fish live bait very often and I only do photo tournaments so I just end up using mine to store wet gear. For the few times I use live bait, I use the Engel live bait cooler with the bubbler. Keeps stuff alive and frisky all day and I can take it out when I'm not using it.

Fishshoot and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  17. FlyBy

FlyBy I Love microskiff.com!

I won't have a live well on a new build. I try to keep the weight down at the back of the boat since that's where all the heavy stuff is, which is why I went to Li-Ion batteries, but I like the poling platform farther back so it's easier to clear the motor with the push pole.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  18. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

There’s nothing worse than a poling skiff that has the platform so low and far forward that your push pole smacks it every stroke or two. A tall platform helps sight fish further away and you can spot fish better for the person on the casting platform (or pick off fish when they fluff a cast).
    A livewell should be dual purpose so it can also be used as wet storage, dry storage or a cooler for fish, drinks and food. Insulated lids and liner are a must.

not2shabby, FlyBy and Boatbrains like this.
  19. Plantation

Plantation Well-Known Member

I have a center console and prefer it over crouching for most side consoles I've driven. I know that can be fixed but it is usually an awkward look to make a side console taller or a longer steering wheel shaft. I have a jump seat on my center console and prefer to be without and use a cooler. Maybe not as clean of a look but I feel it opens up more room for options of going with or without a cooler. This would allow you to use the cooler as a seat and casting platform. I do have a casting platform though. I like how some Mavericks have a removable jumpseat/cooler.
    Last thing is the non self draining cockpit. It has scuppers so I can drain it under way when i pull the plugs but the scuppers sit roughly an inch under water when at rest with no one in boat. I could go for an inch or so higher cockpit to have it self drain all the time like while at the dock when raining. I own a Dolphin Skiff btw. Other than that I love it.

Boatbrains likes this.
  20. SomaliPirate

I've always been a center console guy, but on a new skiff I think I'd go side console since it allows for more room to set up a playpen in the cockpit.

not2shabby and Boatbrains like this.