Quest for perfection!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boatbrains, May 15, 2018 at 9:09 PM.

1. Boatbrains

Boatbrains Well-Known Member

Ok folks in the long hard quest for the perfect skiff we’ve all learned what we like and don’t like in our boats. So let’s hear it! What are your likes and dislikes about your skiff. Is it a finished interior or webbed utility style skiff you prefer? Hidden hinges vs flush hinges?Self bailing or deck drain into bilge? Rolled gunnel? Deck lay out? Stuff like that. If you could change something about your boat, what would it be? Please no brand bashing, that’s not what I’m after. Also, please don’t judge/ bash others opinions we are all on the same team here.

2. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

I love everything about my HPX Tunnel except the area behind the rub rails from about 4’ from the bow to the stern is weak and cracks.

Seymour fish likes this.

3. Cam

Cam Well-Known Member

I would like to see a basic Shallow Sport Sport style deck in a V bottom boat with the low gunnels and flat deck. Add on plenty of deadrise to cut through the chop while allowing for a real world 10" loaded draft. No flatback designs. Throw on an oval standing livewell in front of the motor as needed.

[​IMG]

This is the best "at rest" boat I have fished from in our area but it beats the snot out of a fellow running through chop. Fix the chop problem even if it is slow and I would buy one.

EdK13 likes this.
  4. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

If you have never fished off a Tran Sport Baby Cat you should check one out. They are the biggest little boat I’ve ever been on. They are relatively shallow draft, excellent in chop, drift well, great holeshot, decent speed and a 90 is perfect on them. They pole like a one legged pelican swims but only because if their width and weight.

EdK13 and Seymour fish like this.
  5. wardicus

wardicus I Love microskiff.com!

I’m running a basic to the eye tiller caimen. What I like ,how it poles, the draft , the economy of light tiller boat , the ride for what that hull is . It still amazes me at times . What I don’t like . Prob lack of dry storage , no live well , would like a few more mph at times . Sponson boat does not reverse well . Now having said all that if , I change one or more of the dislikes I would have to change the whole skiff . More hp ,live well , storage , creature comforts , bigger fuel tank , the whole boat changes . Draft , economy , poling, etc .... as you said there is no perfect skiff. If fact I think most skiff can only do a couple things really well . Than the line begins blur depending on what your asking it to do . In the end no I don’t want to give up draft or poling. So I stick with what I got . but I’m one of the crazies that loves being on the platform .

Smackdaddy53 and Boatbrains like this.
  6. commtrd

commtrd I Love microskiff.com!

That shallowsport does not belong on the microskiff website. ECC does make a scooter style deck on a skiff. Example the Lostmen. I have a HB Professional. The only thing I would change I already did. Mounted the motor up 3" on the JP. Far and away the best built, most functional boat I have ever owned. Never again another shallowsport. Other good boats to get would be a Spear Glades X or a Sabine aluminum skiff. If looking at a scooter style hull then a New Water Ibis or Curlew.

not2shabby and Seymour fish like this.
  7. Boatbrains

The boat might not qualify for microskiff, but he was answering the question about what he likes and dislikes about a skiff. But if there is something you didn’t like about a shallow sport and you have owned or fished from one let us hear it, just don’t bash please.

No Bait / Lures Only likes this.
  8. FlyBy

FlyBy I Love microskiff.com!

I have a Bossman Karma with a 30 Tohatsu tiller. 29 MPH with two people, drafts 5", poles great and no problems reversing even with the sponsons. It reminds me of the SR-71 Blackbird in that it's a POS but it gets the job done. I'm considering a BT Mosquito for rougher water capability but afraid I'll gain an inch or so in draft and I don't know if I can live with that. Draft REALLY matters where I fish, which is flooded grass flats.

Fritz likes this.
  9. No Bait / Lures Only

No Bait / Lures Only I Love microskiff.com!

Spear Glades X, Very nice boat but early model needs spray rails. Light, Fast, Poles nice, shallow draft. A small bottom pad/pocket would make it a rocket ship. Almost no storage under rear casting deck, no splash well cover, needs a hatch cover. Boat is low enough to make a scooter deck with.

10. zthomas

zthomas I Love microskiff.com!

I'm a big fan of the side console layout. Didn't think I would be, but now that I have one, I'd be hesitant to go back to center.

With both batteries and my troller on the port side, listing at sub-planing speeds is barely noticeable, even with just me in the boat. On plane, my weight to starboard just helps offset prop torque, especially trimmed down. I guess maybe I get wetter in certain situations than I would with a center console, but I stay dryer in others. Besides, it's a 17T — no driving arrangement short of a pilothouse is going to keep you dry all the time.

And the big open cockpit is great — especially for me, since I fish a lot with kids, wife, dad, and others who often need a hand with knots, baiting, releasing, etc. Being able to move freely from bow to stern more or less on the centerline is a big deal. It's also nice for boat camping and all-day beach/sandbar trips with kids and the heaps of not-very-well-organized gear that my wife insists on bringing.

not2shabby and jboriol like this.
  11. zthomas

Also, coming from an offshore background, I'm still not down with cockpits that drain to the bilge. I understand that's just the nature of the poling skiff beast, but it still seems dangerous. I really don't like the idea of being entirely reliant on my electrical system and bilge pumps to keep me floating.

My son and I took a big, curling barge wake over the bow last year and instantly had 6" of water in the cockpit. Took us a very long 5 minutes or so to bucket and pump it out while also keeping the boat moving to keep the bow up, and it scared me pretty good. If that had happened with a natural wave, rather than an isolated wake, and there had been more waves of the same size behind it, we could very easily have been swimming.

bryson likes this.
  12. Steve_Mevers

Steve_Mevers I Love microskiff.com!

Shallow draft with little deadrise = miserable ride in a chop. I just couldn't stand the ride of my 17T anymore, running a Action Craft now.

13. FlyBy

FlyBy I Love microskiff.com!

Amen, brother. I like a self-bailing cockpit but I don't know of any poling skiffs that have one. And I know there are a lot of reasons they don't.

14. zthomas

True story. But it's a tradeoff you have to make to fish effectively in some areas. My last boat (in the picture) was an Action Craft/Hewes Redfisher style flats boat with 12 or 14 degrees of deadrise. Rode great in chop, but I sold it and bought a 17T because it wouldn't go where I needed it to in the lagoon.

More deadrise and softer ride in chop = deeper draft.

10334438_830925656934955_4192624431253988862_n.jpg

15. Boatbrains

Mostly all good stuff guys. I’m looking for your thoughts on the different features you like/ dislike more than what makes a boat draft more or less and not too concerned with what manufacturer you prefer over another. Things like removable hatch liners, tilt wheel, side vs center console vs tiller, maybe sliding battery trays, non skid preference??? I already know HB, Action Craft, Harry Spear, Ancona, ect... make/made great boats. Just toying around with the Idea of making a near perfect skiff and what features it should have.

16. commtrd

commtrd I Love microskiff.com!

My last shallowsport purchased brand new the deck would very audibly crunch under foot walking on it. Even felt slightly squishy. I should have refused to take delivery on it. Sold it 3 months later since Wes (the owner of SS) told me it was OK and they did not intend to resolve it. I just didn't want the hassle of trying to get a cratered deck fixed on a new boat if it came to that. I often wonder what became of that boat if the deck failed or not. Took a beating on selling it but goodbye and good riddance.

Buy a skiff from a reputable Florida builder and dont have to be concerned with nonsense like that.

TimR and Boatbrains like this.
  17. Boatbrains

Being a 7th generation Florida boy I like that! But good boats are built in other states and some bad boats built here in Florida. I am sorry to hear of your bad experience though and wish all builders understood the value of customer/product support as much as some do. I know many people feel that way too. All that said, obviously the SS had some features that you liked or you wouldn’t have bought it. Let’s hear those as well please?

18. ifsteve

ifsteve Well-Known Member

Three generic comments:
    1. Perfection is a great thing to strive for. But you won't get it. No such thing as a perfect boat.
    2. Boats are smaller on the water when you load them up and get on board than you think in looking at them on land.
    3. I have never heard anybody say I wish I had gone with a smaller engine.

RunningOnEmpty, TimR and Boatbrains like this.
  19. Boatbrains

I know that one boat will never be perfect in every situation. Really looking for your likes/dislikes of features on a boat you own or owned. I am not in the market for a boat either. There is a reason for my madness here, to be revealed in the future!

20. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

Perfection has horsepower requirements with weight limitations.

Mine used to be 90; tried 70; now its 115.

tjtfishon and Boatbrains like this.