PVC tiller extension?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by firecat1981, Nov 3, 2011.

1. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I was trying to make a PVC tiller extension for my Yamaha f20, but I'm running into an issue. The handle on the new yamaha's are thicker then my old outboards.
    I first tried 1.5" schedule 40, wasn't even close so I cut some slits in the sides and dipped it in boiling water. I was able to get it on but the slits spread very unevenly and doesn't look very good at all.
    Next i tried 2" which was much bigger then I need. I dipped it in the boiling water and tried to crushed it down into shape, but it was still to big and allowed alot of play. So I'm stuck in the middle here, 1.75" would be perfect, even 1 5/8" but they don't have either if those.
    So....? anyone got a tip on how they did it well?

I was really going to just do it to make sure what legnth I like and maybe order a better one next year.

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Thin wall irrigation pvc pipe worked for me :cool:

You can build up the interior diameter with sections of the thin wall pvc.

https://picasaweb.google.com/bdefalco/TillerExtension

3. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

Fcat -send me the tiller twist grip dimensions and i'll make you some boots. :)
    length x diameter-both ends if tapered.
    what are you using for the shaft/arm or whatever its called?
    -anytide

4. firecat1981

Brett, did you ever find the thin walled pipe wasn't strong enough? I have some that will most likely be a perfect fit

Tide, I don't want to trouble you for such a simple thing as I will be pestering you as soon as I fix my trolling motor mount.

I was going to taper it down to a 1" pipe and put a grip on the end, maybe even foam fill it. I just want to make it and take a few runs and see how it feels.

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Been running the 9.9 Merc for a year now with the thinwall pvc, no problems.
    I have 3 extensions, short, medium and long. The one I use depends on passenger weight.
    The heavier the load up front the shorter the extension so my position balances the hull.
    With the longest extension I can sit on the cooler and control the outboard.

[​IMG]

6. firecat1981

I'll give it a shot and see what happens, thanks.

7. anytide

-nothing would make me happier ;)
    -anytide

8. anytide

---sorry Fcat - i should have just answered your ? -use a heat gun.
    its tricky to say the least, i make molds/templates then form the different plastics over them for the desired shape...
    sometimes do it in stages and move down the boot because heating the hole thing will cause it to collapse on you when pushing it over the form :mad:
    good luck -offer still exists ;)
    -anytide

9. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

1.5" Schedule 40 pvc pipe is 1.9" o.d. and 1.6" i.d versus 1.5 pvc tube at 1.9" o.d. and 1.795 i.d.

Pipe is measured inside diameter and tube is measured outside diameter.

Find TUBE - plastics joint on hwy 60 in Brandon or anytide might be able to assist.

10. firecat1981

I got it done, I stole some ideas from Brett and it worked out ok. The only issue is it needs to be 6 inches longer, but it is rock solid. I filled the 1" section with 2 part foam, not sure if it did anything. I hammer coated it and put some tennis racquet tape on the handle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. cvilt

cvilt I Love microskiff.com!

Anytide is the "Man" he hooked me up good. Bret I made a fiberglass expendable tiller extension from a pole saw that would go from 4' to a little over 6' I could run my 15t from almost the front deck. To scary for me :eek: I cut it down and gave it to a friend.

12. Flounder_Joe

Flounder_Joe I Love microskiff.com!

First off Brett that is one bada.. skiff. I like the natural wood look plain and simple. Firecat I understand what you did on the one inch side but I dont understand how you coulped them together I'm not seeing a reduce? Can you explain as I'm going to need one in the near future.

13. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Thanks FJ, been using it for 3 years now.   :cool:

That joint on FC's extension looks to be a bushing and coupling combination.
    Available at your local hardware or home improvement store.

14. Flounder_Joe

Thanks Brett I think I know which ones you mean, I'll check on my next trip to HD or Lowes.

15. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

I have these really nice bell adapters made for me

I have a few available 1.5 x 1 or 1.25 x 1

PM me if interested ...

[​IMG]

16. firecat1981

Noettica, I'm going to take up a collection for you, so you can buy a can of spray paint and shoot that ugly thing already, lol.

I had to make a new extension since mine was a little short so here is how it went.

First I glued the cap on the 1" pipe then filled it with foam, it's not really needed but since I had it left over I figured why not.
    [​IMG]

Here are the parts for the joint.
    From left to right: 1.5" thin walled PVC pipe, 1.5" coupling, 1.5" to 1" bushing, and a 1" schedule 40 pipe.
    [​IMG]

Here it is glued together
    [​IMG]

and here is the spacer for the tip of the handle.
    [​IMG]

I'm hammer coating it now and will wrap the end again in wilsons tape when finished. This extension is about 7.5" longer then the last one, which was usable but to short to be confortable.

17. gbud1969@gmail.com

gbud1969@gmail.com I Love my Piranha even more...

Thats one nice looking boat. [smiley=1-thumbsup1.gif]

18. Flounder_Joe

FC I've read a couple of times you state your are hammeer coating what is it?

19. anytide

rustoleum "hammered" spray can paint
    - ;)

20. firecat1981

Yep, it's just spray paint that has a semi orange peel kind of texture to it. It hides alot of imperfections.