Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my old Kennedy craft is a great boat,however the hull seems to have a lot of flex in chop. I see a lot of stress cracks around the boxes. My question is...should I floor in my boat or just somehow strengthen the sides to keep the flex down. I’d also like to hide my wiring as well and thought I could floor it and add piping under it to run wiring?? I’m a newbie to this but hey if ya don’t ask what will you learn?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
223 Posts
Post pictures. You could probably add walk around gunnels with glassed in under gunnel rod holders, adding stiffness for less weight. Wiring can easily be run under the gunnels and is concealed with easy access when needed. Also they may make the boat more fishable for you depending on your preferences.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
DuckNut means that the flat part of your floor is the "deck". It looks like you'll need to cut that out then re-install the floor/deck. From the looks of the picture we're not looking at the inside of the hull, but the sole/deck/floor whatever you want to call it. Likely polyester glass over plywood, and yes prone to flexing after years of use.

Edit to add: I could be wrong but the pic definitely makes it look that way.

·
Brandon, FL
10,149 Posts
That flat surface on the inside of the boat is not the hull. That is the floor/sole. You can tell because there is a drop off around the perimeter indicating that it is raised and placed on to of the stringers, and the flat v shape up toward the bow is covering up the v shape of the hull.

As low hydrogen said, probably wood covered with resin and chopped strand mat which has rotted. Might even be some water soaked foam under it.

·
Brandon, FL
10,149 Posts
Take a drill and drill 1/4" through it. If it comes out the bottom of the hull, we are wrong.

Don't think we are.

·
Brandon, FL
10,149 Posts
@DuckNut i may be a newbie but definitely not stupid lol.
Never implied you were.

Not an actual floor basically it’s just the bare bottom. I meant as a decking.
I was giving you an explanation to this comment which was spurred by this one:
my old Kennedy craft is a great boat,however the hull seems to have a lot of flex in chop. I see a lot of stress cracks around the boxes. My question is...should I floor in my boat or just somehow strengthen the sides to keep the flex down. I’d also like to hide my wiring as well and thought I could floor it and add piping under it to run wiring?? I’m a newbie to this but hey if ya don’t ask what will you learn?
The cracking around the boxes is the tab used to close the gap when the floor was installed.

There is no repairing this. This requires replacing.

That's all I was doing. Trying to explain that the floor in your boat is shot and needs replacing.

I apologize if you felt I was implying you might be stupid for drilling into the floor. I did not intend for that to happen. I will bet you a Big Mac value meal and a case of Magic Hat #9 to wash the meal down if you drill into it and get anything other than sawdust or water soaked foam.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No i apologize I meant it jokingly. But my there isn’t any foam in my boat. The floor is the hull,if I drilled into it I’d be needing billy Mays to come back from the dead and sell me some flex seal lol.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
223 Posts
No i apologize I meant it jokingly. But my there isn’t any foam in my boat. The floor is the hull,if I drilled into it I’d be needing billy Mays to come back from the dead and sell me some flex seal lol.
Take some more pictures so we can see it better then because that picture makes it appear to have a raised floor.

·
Brandon, FL
10,149 Posts
Take a picture of the transom. Squat down so the camera is even with the center of the transom. Do the same for the bow.

·
Brandon, FL
10,149 Posts
LOL

But Phil Swift has flex seal tape

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,974 Posts
I had the same hull with 2 different engines mercury 2 stroke 35 n 50 n never had floor flex. I believe it was supposed to have 3/4" plywood cored n no stringers. Bought in 1969 Pensacola n so it's possible I don't remember some details.

·
Brandon, FL
10,149 Posts
I don't want to kick the dead horse because my foot already hurts.

Look at the pic of your transom, see the poling strakes? Where are they on the inside? They are not filled with resin because that would have caused the hull to flex along the non flexible strakes and cause a rip in the glass the entire length of the strakes.

I stand by my original assumption there is some sort of floor in there. Most likely wood rather than foam based on age of skiff.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,974 Posts
I don't want to kick the dead horse because my foot already hurts.

Look at the pic of your transom, see the poling strakes? Where are they on the inside? They are not filled with resin because that would have caused the hull to flex along the non flexible strakes and cause a rip in the glass the entire length of the strakes.

I stand by my original assumption there is some sort of floor in there. Most likely wood rather than foam based on age of skiff.
I was told upon purchase, it is a 3/4" plywood cored floor area 1969 model,

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'm not familiar with this boat. Does it have a flat bottom similar to a stump knocker? Looking at the transom drain, unless the boat has a small bilge pocket, the floor could be the top side of the hull. But Ive been wrong before.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts