Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6F28031F-3A19-44B7-AC4A-7F21223338AF.png
I see this a lot, guys that fish A lot sticking there fly reels under salt water I always felt like this is terrible for them. I know for a fact it will ruin a spinning reel. Is it that bad for fly reels?

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
It’s trendy and gets social media attention that these flatbiller divas love. I don’t dunk any reels intentionally and wear a curve in my cap so they block sun and fit like a man was intended to wear them. Call me old fashioned but I don’t wear jeans with rhinestones on them either...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I avoid dunking my reels, but have many times - in freezing steelhead conditions and salt - I have not experienced any problems. Between handling and releasings a fish well and getting stress about keeping the reel dry, the fish gets the priority.

I also stopped doing hero shots to.

·
Registered
59 Posts
… these reels we use for shallow water/inside the reef/flats fishing are engineered for the salt water environment … ABOVE the surface … sure, spashes from fish & waves are expected and accidental dunkings occur, but personally, I'd never intentionally submerge any of my reels in saltwater, but that's me. I won't bore you with the meticulous cleaning my reels go thru after a plunge ...

… I thought the objective of the Hero Shot was to not only showcase your catch, but to display the gear it was caught on. Most tackle is easily identified by its color/design/profile and of course name, when the pic is taken above the surface. I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years, but that's actually good …

·
I Love microskiff.com!
289 Posts
It’s trendy and gets social media attention that these flatbiller divas love. I don’t dunk any reels intentionally and wear a curve in my cap so they block sun and fit like a man was intended to wear them. Call me old fashioned but I don’t wear jeans with rhinestones on them either...
On the money! It's all about doing it for the 'Gram. I'll be damned if I'm dunking my $400-500 fly reel under Saltwater just to get likes and the approval of Beta males.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Sure don't do it intentionally. Of course they get some dunking occasionally while wading and in the surf. Have an inexpensive Okuma Integrity 8/9 that has been dunked a lot in the surf and keeps on ticking, but it gets rinsed and greased once its home also. Rods get wiped off also. Don't like the flat bills either, but than again they might say I look goofy in my straw hat.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,059 Posts
I don't do it intentionally but it happens sometimes. If you're using a quality reel and take care to rinse it afterwards and maintain your reel it should be an issue. But, I also had my very first saltwater reel, an Okuma Integrity, have the drag completely seize up due to use in the salt and despite religious cleaning/maintenance.

These days, many years later all of my primary saltwater reels are Tibor with a couple Hatch, Orvis, and Colton for backups that have had zero issues with an occasional dunking.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Dunking is all for show. Period. If it happens it happens and even "non-sealed" reels like the time tested Everglades can take it. Just the typical IG post influencer post. Sad thing is most of them with the fancy cameras and drone would be fine with a pflueger medalist as they cant cast their way out of a paper bag.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Dunking is all for show. Period. If it happens it happens and even "non-sealed" reels like the time tested Everglades can take it. Just the typical IG post influencer post. Sad thing is most of them with the fancy cameras and drone would be fine with a pflueger medalist as they cant cast their way out of a paper bag.
I thought the point was to be able to cast into a paper bag!

·
Registered
1999 Whipray, 2017 Tohatsu MFS50
756 Posts
"OMG, that guy is so rich / Bro Staff that he doesn't have to care about his equipment!"
I understand if you're in belly button deep water geeked out of your mind trying to get a picture of your first Permit and you accidentally dunk your reel, but if you're kneeling in 10" of water holding your 3 lb bonefish 5" above the water and dunking your purple Nautilus (seems like it's always a Nautilus), you're just being a douche.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Who can make shirts that say “I fish for likes” or “I got it on film” I gotta couple bro staffers around my neck of the woods that could use one. After all nobody will believe you if you don’t take 1,000 pictures of the same 22 inch red....
I completely agree. Seems like a lot of folks enjoy the internet accolades more than fishing itself. Fishing has become the means for “fishing” for compliments.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I like to add a counterpoint, but as previously stated - I stopped hero shots, I care more about the fish, I cover all but my finger tips (my fishing partner (wife) has had 3 minor surgeries and 1 major for skin cancer) and I really try not too dunk my reels.

I prefer a telephone, but for work I WhatsApp (works for most of Asia), Line (Japan), Skype (work internal), et cetera, but the world is changing.

Influencers, making money of youtube, et cetera, is where the marketing money has shift Just as there were "ad-men", we now have influencers. I respect no more and no less these marketing people today, as those 40 years ago (so I am old). They are models, ad-people, et cetera ... as I am slowly now exiting this work-place, I wish my daughters adapt to the new order.

Never-the-less, I rather remember what my Mom taught me ---- "If you cannot say something nice, hold your tongue". She taught me many skills, never stop learning, how to pick door locks (yep), and be an example of the life you want to live. My father was the smart perfectionist, my mother was about living life well and treating others better.

So, I offer my piece, but I do not want to trash this gentlemen - which appears the way this thread is going - for the choices he has made, but I want to move on and show how to respect our fishery.

At least the fish is not held out of the water for minutes to get the picture shot.

Oh yes, I was using my floppy garden hat this evening - where I can bend the brim low to block the setting sun. It did not look fashionable, but I did see well into the water. I had a great time tonight on the water.

As my best friend would end all of his emails ...

Peace,
David

·
Registered
59 Posts
(LOL) … CAUTION!!! … its a good lesson where certain pics end-up, that go out in cyber-space … you take an innocent Hero Shot to impress your flats homies … and when the critics get a hold of the pic: they put bumps on your head faster than you can rub 'em, (figuratively) I'm sure if the dude in the first pic is reading all of this he's laughing his ass-off, rubbing his head … and cleaning his reel …

1 - 20 of 68 Posts