Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Push poll length

1891 19
I have a 2001 flats and bay 18 x 8 and I would like to purchase a push pole but am unsure of the correct length to buy. My platform is 3 feet off the transom and I am 6 ‘ tall. Any advice?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Depends how deep of water you are poling? Are you poling in 6ft for oceanside fish? or are you poling primarily shallow (skinny as some of yall call it) water. i use a 21ft stiffy hybrid on my skiff and 18ft moonlighter FG on jonboat.
This. If you are fishing in <1 ft of water 90% of the time a really long pole might be cumbersome, heavy, somewhat in the way, more costly..

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
17,668 Posts
This. If you are fishing in <1 ft of water 90% of the time a really long pole might be cumbersome, heavy, somewhat in the way, more costly..
Maybe more in the way but another 2-3’ of pole isn’t very heavy at all, not much more expensive and only cumbersome when it’s in the way (at the dock and when you’re trying to walk around your boat in the parking lot. My Stiffy Guide is under 4 pounds (2ozs per foot) at 23’ so between an 18 and 23’ pole you’re looking at about a half pound difference.
My favorite all around Stiffy is the Hybrid Series. If I bought a new one it would be a 23’ Hybrid.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,226 Posts
I'd say 4-5' longer than the boat. My Vantage is 19' and I'm using a Stiffy Guide 24'. I have a Loomis 21' that I use every now and then that feels a little short when I'm trying to get that last push before having to pull it in and reset. If you aren't going to pole much, or use it mostly downwind, then you can get by with a shorter pole. Lighter is better when it comes to using a pole. My suggestion would be the Stiffy Hybrid for a balance between lightweight, cost and durability.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.