Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to flats skiffs. My last one was a Gheenoe 15.6 Classic. I used an adjustable Super Stick and that worked great for the noe. I had a beck on the back about 1.5 feet above the water line. I have bought a Mitzi 17 with a platform that is more like 3 feet above the boat deck. How long does my push pole need to be, and what type do I need to get. I will be using a trolling motor most of the time but will be really skinny in the creeks. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Your going to want a 21ft pole at the least, carbon is the only material pole I will buy after switching from a fiberglass one. I don’t have a trolling motor so poling the flats is all I do, the lighter the better

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yeah definitely agree on Carbon Fiber, our at least a hybrid, you can't believe how light they are. I pole my 18 foot skiff with a 24' pole. I bought that length because I found one on craigslist. It's really no problem to store on the boat for trailering, and having that extra length to walk down the pole is really nice. The only thing I have to be careful of is taking off with too much pole hanging off the transom. The drag of the water on the foot can pull it out of the holders and I have had to turn around and go pick it up. One time while trying to flag down another boat that was about to run over it!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
347 Posts
Yeah definitely agree on Carbon Fiber, our at least a hybrid, you can't believe how light they are. I pole my 18 foot skiff with a 24' pole. I bought that length because I found one on craigslist. It's really no problem to store on the boat for trailering, and having that extra length to walk down the pole is really nice. The only thing I have to be careful of is taking off with too much pole hanging off the transom. The drag of the water on the foot can pull it out of the holders and I have had to turn around and go pick it up. One time while trying to flag down another boat that was about to run over it!

The rose goes in the front, Big Guy!

In all seriousness, you may want to put the foot forward. I'm not normally one to give unsolicited advice, but a foot to the rear is never a good thing...

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,507 Posts
I feel like ive said this before, but,
If you dont pole much a glasss pole would be fine, it wont float up like a carbon pole and is cheaper. A carbon pole is very light and will float up so youll have to learn how to jam it down also exspensive. Length, dont get one less than 21' 24 is better
The cheapest way to get a good pole...buy a used pole that could be 18' or so measure the inside and outside diameter then call Stiffy or Moonliter and get a blank extension of 2-4' then add it to the 18'
IMHO

·
Registered
5 Posts
24 carbon fiber is the way to go. If your in the Miami area Biscayne Rods has the best prices I found on Carbon poles.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,507 Posts
does it come off with the foot up front

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thanks guys. I’m trying find a used one up here near St. Augustine. Strike zone has the moonlighter and stiffy I’m going to check them out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Cool thanks guys. I’m trying find a used one up here near St. Augustine. Strike zone has the moonlighter and stiffy I’m going to check them out.
Stiffy hybrid is also a great pole, that was my second one after my fiberglass. I have since sold it and bought a 23ft carbon marine g3lr

·
Registered
390 Posts
Strike Zone quoted me a price that was higher than MSRP on a Stiffy pushpole.....so I ordered the MUDHOLE MHX. I signed up for their email list and got an extra 10% off with free shipping. It was on sale as well. I believe it was $359 to my front door.

·
Registered
189 Posts
does it come off with the foot up front
No, and it’s only happened a couple times when I’m in a hurry and don’t slide it forward before taking off. As you and Pete Paschall have pointed out:

The rose goes in the front, Big Guy!

In all seriousness, you may want to put the foot forward. I'm not normally one to give unsolicited advice, but a foot to the rear is never a good thing...
I have clearly been running around sometimes with the pole backwards in the holders. I will remedy that immediately.

Love the Bull Durham quote btw, I used to live in that area and went to many Bulls games.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I poled with a glasss moonlighter for the last year, recently picked up a 21' carbon fiber for my 14' billfish...like night and day. I really wish I would have made this decision a while ago...but live and learn. My mindset when approaching a large flat has changed from 'ah shit' to 'lets find em'

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
As a guy who lives or dies - push pole in hand... Remember that an all graphite (or "carbon fiber" as they're called when they want more money...) is nice and lightweight, very stiff, and also a bit fragile compared to a hybrid pole (graphite and glass blended). The fiberglass pole is the cheapest but also the heaviest and has the most flex...

To keep that pushpole in good condition over the years (I have four at last count...) keep it out of the sun.... when storing it...

·
Registered
77 Posts
As a guy who lives or dies - push pole in hand... Remember that an all graphite (or "carbon fiber" as they're called when they want more money...) is nice and lightweight, very stiff, and also a bit fragile compared to a hybrid pole (graphite and glass blended). The fiberglass pole is the cheapest but also the heaviest and has the most flex...

To keep that pushpole in good condition over the years (I have four at last count...) keep it out of the sun.... when storing it...
You mention carbon being fragile. I’ve got one of the Super Stick poles at present, but thinking of upgrading. The superstick has quite significant grooves worn in it by my pole holders (Accon folding) after less than a year. I’m worried about this when I’m spending a lot on a one piece carbon pole. I was wondering if carbon is harder and wears less? Or do I need to be careful about not letting the pole rest in one place? Super Stick suggested lining the holder with velcro?

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,424 Posts
The Accon holders are made from nylon. I never had an issue with them with a few different poles on my ActionCraft. As others have mentioned, the Stiffy Hybrid is a great compromise between functionality, durability and cost. I'll add to Capt. Lemay's recommendations to release the pole from the holders if storing on the boat and let it lay flat. Leave it under tension all the time and it can take a set or permanent bend.

·
Registered
278 Posts
There are a ton of quality push pole holders, stiffy, v marine (2 different kinds in different materials) and countless others. None of these will ruin your pole however always store it inside and out of the sun. If you don’t have a place inside I’ve heard of people using a long piece of PVC pipe on a fence and sliding it in there

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,507 Posts
I have Accon folding PP holders and love them. I like to run the gunnels and folding them flat has kept me dry
I only keep my pole on the holders while fishing or travelling. But when I get to my destination i take it off and lay it flat. When home i store them in the ceiling of my downstairs garage. out of the sun

1 - 20 of 23 Posts