Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Panhandler
3,452 Posts
Where you fish, how much poling you plan to do and budget would help for more accurate suggestions. Stiffy and Carbon Marine are the two main companies with various options. Moonlighter is another one. For your skiff a 16-foot composite would probably be the best overall solution.

Shipping costs can be very expensive so having a local dealer is the most affordable way to go.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,980 Posts
If you plan on poling a lot, you will appreciate a lightweight pole with good flex and rebound properties. I have a Stiffy Guide and really like it. An alternative and slightly less money would be the Stiffy Hybrid. Definitely try to find a local dealer. Also, a good pair of poling/fishing gloves with leather or fake leather in the palm are great for reducing hand fatigue when pushing a lot. The Simms gloves are my favorites.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You will probably be poling from the center seat to keep the boat balanced and to make these darn gheenoe's turn when you want to. I would get the longest 1" closet dowel rod from your neighborhood store either make or buy a paddle end like the one from https://mgs4u.com/shallow-water-anchor-parts-kits/

8-10' would be about perfect. You can stow this in the boat, you can put it down in the boat when you want to cast. You can pole when the water is shallow, paddle when it is deep. You can easily switch sides when you have to since the boat is turning the wrong way since you are not standing on the transom. I made one and at the end of my paddle I added an arch and made it thicker so the end looks like a classic push pole fork.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.