Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up a gheenoe Lt 10 in the next few weeks and was thinking of pushing it with the mhx 21’ pole and then the thought came to me as to where I would store the pole as I think that will push the limits of my garage. Any tips on where to store a long push pole. It’s also almost 5 ft over the boat length. Is that going to prove to make any unforeseen problems for a first time boat owner?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
My pole hangs by cinching straps that are wrapped around the garage door frame that hangs down. I have also screwed the cinch straps into a 2x4 which mounted to the ceiling in the past. Just make sure you only have two contact points unless you want to put a permanent bend in your pole. IMG_20190217_114029858.jpg

·
Registered
390 Posts
I’ve thought about this as well. Mine will hang from the ceiling in the basement. I have a sailboat mast hanging on those ladder hooks you get at Home Depot....beneath the overhang (eave) on the back of the house. It’d prolly work with a pushpole as long as you don’t have folks with sticky fingers wandering around.

Reactions: Texasproud11

·
I Love microskiff.com!
347 Posts
I use those hooks from Lowe's with the rubberized coating to hang it on the wall in the garage. Fortunately, my wife allowed me to have a deep garage when we built our house, and the skiff and push pole fit like champs. But it works great if your pole fits... (insert adolescent humor joke here).

Attachments

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
722 Posts
PVC pipe tube on the side of the house or hang from a fence. This will keep the UV rays from damaging the pole and allow you to store outside. Anyway just a suggestion.
Interesting idea there. I have mine tucked nicely on ladder hangers under my deck, but I may add a PVC tube into the mix.

Reactions: CPurvis

·
Registered
871 Posts
Anybody using the PVC tube find that it just attracts lots of critters and bugs? I might try to find a way to put a brush around one end. I’m picturing something like a whisker biscuit but big enough to “clean” the push pole when pulling it out of the PVC tube.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I store my boat in my garage. I just keep my pole on the ground underneath my boat.

Neither fit straight in so they are at a slight angle.

Probably not ideal but it would be to much of a hassle to hang it from the ceiling like I’d like to as I have two garage doors and two ceiling fans to deal with.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,489 Posts
My to poles live in the ceiling of my downstairs garage. I tie the foot to joists near the garage door and let the point sit on an HVAC pipe
Kinda like @e19surf

·
Brandon, FL
10,079 Posts
PVC pipe tube on the side of the house or hang from a fence. This will keep the UV rays from damaging the pole and allow you to store outside. Anyway just a suggestion.
Yep. Attach it to the soffit on the back side of the house.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,231 Posts
I have a 21 and a 24' pole hanging in nylon webbing straps under the house about 7' off the ground. My house is elevated so there is a lot of room. I put some sections of pool noodle on the 24'er to keep from getting banged on the concrete house pilings and the other pole. I have to use a step stool to put the pole/s back in the straps but they are high enough off the ground to be out of the way and far enough up under to house to be out of sight mostly.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I currently store mine on the boat in the holders. 7 years so far this way. Previously I hung it off garage door tracks just in front of door lift. Had a fixed loop on one side I would put pointy end through and then lift foot end with an already hanging bungee cord and wrap pole one time and hook loose end of bungee back onto the track.

·
Lip Ripper
1,717 Posts
I have to run mine diagnose from the Water heater to the top of the garage door frame. I have to close the garage door to get it out but it gets it out of the way.

·
Registered
982 Posts
For now mine sits below the same rack I use for the paddle board. Two foam poles. Hopefully this doesn't change when I add 3' to the push pole.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I attached the PVC to the eve of my shop. Just slide the pole in. Only thing exposed to the sunlight is the foot.

Anybody using the PVC tube find that it just attracts lots of critters and bugs? I might try to find a way to put a brush around one end. I’m picturing something like a whisker biscuit but big enough to “clean” the push pole when pulling it out of the PVC tube.
Mine has been hanging up there for a year and I've never had anything come out with the pole. The ID of the PVC is just large enough for the OD of the pole. I made Cut the PVC to be about 3 inches shorter than the pole so the pointy end sticks out the other side when its all the way in. Not much room for critters to get in there.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Although your garage may not be quite 21' long, there is no requirement to store the pole parallel to the ground or in fact any vertical or horizontal surfaces. to gain a foot you only need to lower one end by 6.4'
Lowering one end 8.9' gives you a 19' storage length

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,412 Posts
For extended storage I use the rubberized storage hooks in my boat shed. Between trips I simply take the pole out of the holders and leave it on the keeper bungees on top of the gunwale. Don't recommend leaving a push pole under tension in the holders for any length of time. Have seen them take a "set" or bend when that happens.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,231 Posts
2AFD204A-4DD4-440D-B6DE-D31CED5F85E0.jpeg

Here’s how mine are stored. 24’ Stiffy Graphite Guide and 21’ Loomis

... Don't recommend leaving a push pole under tension in the holders for any length of time. Have seen them take a "set" or bend when that happens.
X2 on poles taking a set. My buddy’s stiffy hybrid is bent from living in the pole holder on his boat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts