Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for push pole recommendations. I’m new to polling, fly fishing the Islamorada lower keys area. What should I be looking for in a push pole?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Stiffy guide, I use a 21 down there and would rather have a 23. 18' skiff. If you are fishing shallow water only and have a low poling platform a 21 is fine, but there have been several times I wanted a 23.

·
Registered
169 Ranger Ghost
28 Posts
I like the stiffy hybrid. I’ve hung on that thing pretty good and I never worry about it breaking.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My stiffy hybris has been pretty good. Its 21’ kinda wish I had a 23-24 with my 18’ skiff at times. But the 21 works pretty good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stiffy guide, I use a 21 down there and would rather have a 23. 18' skiff. If you are fishing shallow water only and have a low poling platform a 21 is fine, but there have been several times I wanted a 23.
Great advice! I’ll be on an 18’ so I’ve been leaning 23 as you indicated.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,908 Posts
I replaced a Stiffy Hybrid with a Carbon Marine GL3. Much lighter, better, than the Stiffy Hybrid. I also have an 18' skiff and went with a 21 footer. A couple more feet couldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
1995 Viper 19 Flats Boat and 13’ gheenoe highsider
51 Posts
Whatever you get, get it from seven mile fly shop! Support your local shops

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I used a 20 foot Stiffy Hybrid for years and years. Good combination of toughness and weight for that length. A 23 or 24 foot, I'd be leaning towards something a little lighter. I'm going to look at MHX push poles when they time comes.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
308 Posts
I have a 21’ carbon marine loop and it is amazing. Perfect amount of stiffness and very light. However I am not sure they are making it any more. I will say Carbon marines customer service is top notch! My push pole came off of my v marine holders while running 30mph and got stuck in between my poling platform and snapped. Dropped it off at carbon marine and it was repaired and refinished the following day and you would never know it had been snapped. I would highly recommend their products.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd opt for a 100% carbon fiber pole (any blend of fiberglass eventually start to shed) in the 22-24' range and make sure the foot is bridged (helps with the soft mud north of Islamorada). On the spiked end, I'd opt for a stainless steel broad insert (helps with longevity when poling in those hard bottom areas of the lower keys). For upkeep, I periodically wipe down the pole with 303 UV protectant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why would length of the boat influence length of the pole? I understand why height of the poling platform would but why boat length?

·
Panhandler
2,908 Posts
I replaced a Stiffy Hybrid with a Carbon Marine GL3. Much lighter, better, than the Stiffy Hybrid. I also have an 18' skiff and went with a 21 footer. A couple more feet couldn't hurt either.
Really liked my previous CM GL3 too. But when it broke I went back to a Stiffy Hybrid for cost/durability. Considering a MHX but the OP said he was new to poling and the Hybrid is more forgiving than all carbon fiber. And for the record, never had an issue with either of my two Hybrids shedding.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,908 Posts
Had to respray my hybrid minimum ever other year. Yes it’s decent starter pole but no comparison to gl3 if you pole a lot. I also have a Biscayne which is better than the Hybrid and just as strong.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,490 Posts
I like my Mud Hole MHX came to my house in a box, put it together, turned into a 24' carbon pole weighs 4 lbs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts