Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to flats boats, have a Beavertail Lightning...I didn’t buy it for poling but hoping I’ll be able to, any advice on pole to buy? My home port is Venice LA....

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Longest pole you can afford. I second a Stiffy Hybrid 24 because you will need a stiffer pole that is still light to pole a 20’ boat in the marsh. And yes I have poled my boat in several areas there, I use a Stiffy Guide and wished I had a Hybrid since it’s stiffer and that marsh mud is serious.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Your boat is big. LA bottom is muddy. Longer is better. But that also means your going to have some weight in your hands. I'd buy the best pole you can afford. Stiffy!

And yes get in touch with Rocky Thickstun and see what he has available. One of the biggest issues with getting a push pole is shipping/delivery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking at the Stiffy poles...Any preference in multi-piece, one-piece, or one-piece modular?

·
Registered
387 Posts
one piece 24' ought to do the job. I'd also recommend the G3LR from carbon marine. I don't own one, but have used one several times and is my favorite pole. So stiff and light. I'm sure the stiffy hybrid is good too, probably a little cheaper. How much are you going to use it? Every time your out, 6-8 hours/day? Or just every now and then, poling a flat here or there? Might not be worth dropping top $ if you're not going to use it much.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Longest pole you can afford. I second a Stiffy Hybrid 24 because you will need a stiffer pole that is still light to pole a 20’ boat in the marsh. And yes I have poled my boat in several areas there, I use a Stiffy Guide and wished I had a Hybrid since it’s stiffer and that marsh mud is serious.
The guide has a lot less flex than the hybrid, especially in the 23-24 ft range. I have owned both of them at that length.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
The guide has a lot less flex than the hybrid, especially in the 23-24 ft range. I have owned both of them at that length.
My current pole is a 24’ Guide, maybe it’s just been well used but I poled with a Hybrid for 3 years before this one and the Hybrid always felt like it had much more backbone. Maybe I’m mistaken.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
My current pole is a 24’ Guide, maybe it’s just been well used but I poled with a Hybrid for 3 years before this one and the Hybrid always felt like it had much more backbone. Maybe I’m mistaken.
How long was your hybrid? My 23 guide doesn't have much flex. Around 19-20 ft the hybrid is also pretty stiff but at 23 ft the one I had was very flexy.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
How long was your hybrid? My 23 guide doesn't have much flex. Around 19-20 ft the hybrid is also pretty stiff but at 23 ft the one I had was very flexy.
I learned to pole on a HPX-T with a 23’ Hybrid then bought a 24’ Guide when I built my aluminum skiff and then bought my HPX Tunnel with a 24’ Hybrid and sold it to my buddy and kept the guide. All the other Hybrids I poled with were stiffer than my Guide but maybe my pole is well used. Definitely limber.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
With the combo of carbon and glass I would think the hybrid would be more flexible than a carbon pole, but I wonder if Stiffy has altered their layup over the years. I know the rib profile has changed on the hybrid over the years. Wonder what stiffys answer would be? Regardless I think the hybrid would be the best option here for the op. Really hard to go wrong with any Stiffy or cm products. I have owned them all and they have always preformed well.

·
will pole for food
964 Posts
get the longest lightest pole possible.

A no vote here for the hybrid. I poled many trips on a buddy’s HB Neptune with a 20 something stuffy hybrid, and it was noticeably heavy and wobbly. Hated that thing, esp in any kind of wind. Only way I’d consider a hybrid is if you plan on using the trolling motor most of the time, having the push pole for back up.

For your Setup I’d get 24’ Stiffy Guide or one of those high end Carbon marines. If you can, get the wish bone style foot, rather than the bridge foot. I like it in our mud.

FWIW, I have a multi piece Carbon marine Loop that has been great, but they don’t make them any more.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts