Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told that a 21' stiffy push pole hybrid model would be great for the 17' Maverick I'm going to buy. Does anyone have an opinion on this? What other options are out there? Stiffy seems to be the brand of choice for most people I know

·
Lip Ripper
1,717 Posts
I'm pretty partial to Carbon Marine GL3R. Depends on where you live, if you're in TX or LA, go with Stiffy for warranty purposes, If you're in FL go with Carbon Marine. I live in SC so it didn't matter, but I liked the feel of the CM over the Stiffy

·
Registered
987 Posts
I like my Moonlighter. Very light.
I had a Stiffy Hybrid that I refinished and it was honestly great. Didn't have to worry and it wasn't too buoyant.

My only complaint on the GL3R is that it feels like 400 grit sand paper. Also just make sure you have the Holders in the right spot.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Depends on what you want to spend. The MHX 21' Carbon is hard to beat for $400 and I have pushed with one plenty of times. I am partial to the 24' Carbon Marine GL3R for its weight, length and the finish. The sandpaper type feel is excellent in all conditions where as some pushpoles can be hard to grip when wet or on heavy fog days. In between those two price wise is the Stiffy Hybrid you mention, it has been a proven stick for years.

·
Registered
154 Posts
have pushed moonlighter and stiffy, all will work but partial to stiffy. wife just got me the extreme and i like it the best of all, very light and small diameter. like better than the hybrid and like the guide better than the hybrid also. however the hybrid will work just fine, used one for years

·
Registered
278 Posts
The hybrid can get slick if it gets wet as will the MHX (mhx turns to ice when it gets wet). Th hybrid has a texture/ridges to it that don’t make it as bad though. I went from a hybrid to a CM gl3r and I won’t ever go back, the longer the pushpole the better, I went with the 23ft on my 17ft skiff and it’s perfect

·
I Love microskiff.com!
263 Posts
Have a gl3r and a stiffy guide. I like the guide much better. Not sure where you're located but you're more than welcome to compare them side by side.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I know this is probably close to a mortal sin for real Technical Poling Skiff folks, but I had a 21' pole for a while and for the amount of time I actually used it I found it was taking up too much space. I'm not on the pole all day when I do use it and this one shrinks down to 9' and fits in my under gunwale rod holder.

https://thesuperstick.com/

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had a Stiffy Hybrid and didn't care for the texture much at all. Mine also delaminated after a few years. I now have a 22' Moonlighter carbon. It is an excellent pole at a decent price point.

·
Banned
276 Posts
I'm in the Moonlighter fan club myself. I currently push a SuperStick as it fits the needs of my little skiff best, but if I had the space I would get the carbon Moonlighter.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
691 Posts
21 is too short- 23 or even 24. Its like buying a tv- once you buy it, no one ever says it is too big

1 - 14 of 14 Posts