Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a new push pole. Been looking into 18’ fiberglass Moonlighter and 18’ fiberglass Stiffy poles. I’m fishing down in Southeast Louisiana, and looking for a one piece only. I know it’s a hassle for shipping so if anyone knows any pole dealers that are within about 5-6hrs I’d love to know. Any tips or recommendations would be nice. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Ship's Chandler in Destin is a Stiffy and Carbon Marine dealer.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Capt. Rocky Thickston in the NOLA area is a Stiffy distributor, he keeps some stock,not sure about glass.. Pack and Paddle in Lafayette carries some, Sabine Skiffs in Houston's got some. Why fiberglass? I can't tell you how happy I was when I upgraded to Carbon (or at least consider a hybrid). What kind of boat are you pushing? 18' is pretty short.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Capt. Rocky Thickston in the NOLA area is a Stiffy distributor, he keeps some stock,not sure about glass.. Pack and Paddle in Lafayette carries some, Sabine Skiffs in Houston's got some. Why fiberglass? I can't tell you how happy I was when I upgraded to Carbon (or at least consider a hybrid). What kind of boat are you pushing? 18' is pretty short.
I have a 16ft pro sport. I’m not fully set on fiberglass. Just fishing around for products. I am interested in carbon as well

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,473 Posts
Sabine Skiffs Ultralight Boat Works is a Stiffy dealer. They have poles in stock at their shop, just South of Houston although I think they only stock carbon ones. Fishing Tackle Unlimited in Houston carries the glass poles at the Gulf Freeway store usually.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
487 Posts
I wouldn't buy a fiberglass pole. I picked up an old one yesterday to knock a football out of a palm tree and it was seriously heavy.

That said, it's just hanging in the garage in Galveston County so if you really want a fiberglass Stiffy I'll sell it pretty cheap.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have a 16ft pro sport. I’m not fully set on fiberglass. Just fishing around for products. I am interested in carbon as well
I would definitely look at a pole longer than 18'. I'm in Louisiana too, I fish all areas of the coast here, IMHO it think 21 is ideal. We have a lot of soft bottoms where a couple of feet of your push pole will sink while pushing and when the wind blows it's good to have a bit of length. I know some guys that fish here like IFSTEVE actually prefer a 24". I have a 21' stiffy guide and a 24 foot. I find the 24 foot to be longer than I need for as shallow as I fish here and it's a little more unwieldy so I save it for the occasional destination trip where I'm fishing a bit deeper water than what we have here.

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts
Still waiting on my mandrels! I will be building two diameters out to 24’ 1 piece soon though!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would definitely look at a pole longer than 18'. I'm in Louisiana too, I fish all areas of the coast here, IMHO it think 21 is ideal. We have a lot of soft bottoms where a couple of feet of your push pole will sink while pushing and when the wind blows it's good to have a bit of length. I know some guys that fish here like IFSTEVE actually prefer a 24". I have a 21' stiffy guide and a 24 foot. I find the 24 foot to be longer than I need for as shallow as I fish here and it's a little more unwieldy so I save it for the occasional destination trip where I'm fishing a bit deeper water than what we have here.
About to pull the trigger on a 21” stiffy hybrid I think. More i think about it 18” is definitely short for my platform and for the Louisiana mud

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts
My Fab guy tells me he should have my mandrels next week. Let me get a couple built and tested then I’ll have pricing. Sorry, already have the testers lined up folks!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have a Carbon Marine, (whatever there top of the line build is) and I do really love it. It's super light and stiff. 24 footer for my 18' skiff and wouldn't go any shorter, especially in mud. My favorite thing about the CM is the smooth finish, but I still wear gloves as I have to protect my hands. It also has the nice fork instead of the triangle which is quieter than my old Stiffy triangle. Had a Stiffy for 16 yrs and it was great as well. I would not want a glass or even heavy composite. Get the best you can possibly afford. Had a Moonlighter as well and was definitely average......a $600 pole is not as good as a 1100 but it worked ok. Stiffy has several different models. I have fished the smaller diameter Extreme and I didn't like it due to being too flexible. My 0.02.

Reactions: jay.bush1434

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,473 Posts
I've got a 21' Stiffy graphite Guide for sale, $850. Galveston, Texas. Been used about 10 times. Has a few scuff marks from going on/off the boat and in/out of the storage rack. Always kept under my house or in storage unit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts