Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fellow Microskiff lovers. I am in search of a quality skiff that is 15-18 feet, can handle a variety of water, and has a tiller or side console configuration. I looked at a skull island yesterday and it was perfect, just 5k outside of my budget. Not particular on any names but Ankona seems to fit the bill. Any recommendations? I live in Daytona Beach,FL trying to hit Mosquito and St. John’s and anywhere else.
THANK YOU

Papa

·
Registered
2 Posts
There’s a mangrove bay ibis on Facebook in Florida that looks like a sweet little boat, it’s in your price range as well. It’s on the microskiffs and kayak FS page.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Read up on skull islands. Probably for the better that didn't work out.

I'm looking for the same criteria except I would like something with a little deadrise. If I wasn't we set on that I would look at the flat bottom options available from ankona like the shadowcast or the skimmer skiff 16.

Beyond a new build the used market has a ton of old junk/crap on it that people want top dollar for. I don't want to spend 12k on a boat that I need to work on before using it.

On the other hand I have been looking into some aluminum boats. The idea being I can use it for a few years then haul it up north to leave at a lake in upstate new York. I like the durability but I'm a little hesitant putting a new aluminum boat in the salt. I've been looking into havoc boats which seem to tick most of the boxes. Light, fast, inexpensive and 14 degrees of deadrise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My buddy is selling his 183 proline stalker for 15k, He has a half tower rigged on it so a little different but I can text you pics if interested. 727 798 3673

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'm looking for the same criteria except I would like something with a little deadrise. If I wasn't we set on that I would look at the flat bottom options available from ankona like the shadowcast or the skimmer skiff 16.

Beyond a new build the used market has a ton of old junk/crap on it that people want top dollar for. I don't want to spend 12k on a boat that I need to work on before using it.

On the other hand I have been looking into some aluminum boats. The idea being I can use it for a few years then haul it up north to leave at a lake in upstate new York. I like the durability but I'm a little hesitant putting a new aluminum boat in the salt. I've been looking into havoc boats which seem to tick most of the boxes. Light, fast, inexpensive and 14 degrees of deadrise.
Look at War Eagle Boats. I am from Arkansas and have a bunch of friends with Havocs. War Eagles are much more versatile and are outstanding.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Look at War Eagle Boats. I am from Arkansas and have a bunch of friends with Havocs. War Eagles are much more versatile and are outstanding.
My dad actually had a 2 war eagles. One was a camo duck boat and the other was a red bass boat. Most of his friends at the time ran sea arks. The bass boat had a 150 on it and had a really strong hole shot.

Good to know. I haven't actually seen a havoc in person but the transom design and supports running the length of the hull were interesting.

·
Bait Hater
551 Posts

Would you care to elaborate? You base your opinion on skull over something you've read but then throw out names you'd consider like ankona and skimmer?

And the two you mentioned the ecs glide over the skull. Why would you go for a glide over the skull "any day"? I highly doubt you've been on both. I have been on both and my opinion is the opposite. The only positive of the glide over the skull in my opinion is the customer service and support you get from Kevin and team. Also, a glide in the $10-15k range is pretty rare. However, two skulls have sold for within that range in the past two months

·
Registered
586 Posts
-Integrated spray rail
-Customer support
-Resale Value

for me with the above mentioned I think that the glide is more visually appealing boat I hate the lines of the skull island I also dislike the lines on Some other ECS boats tho

·
Bait Hater
551 Posts
-Integrated spray rail
-Customer support
-Resale Value

for me with the above mentioned I think that the glide is more visually appealing boat I hate the lines of the skull island I also dislike the lines on Some other ECS boats tho
The skull has just as much of an integrated spray rail as a hb whip/waterman... not as aggressive as the ecs bucket lid look.

And for the lines, i think they look strikingly similar...

But that is personal opinion. Not saying you are wrong at all.

Your other two points are definitely true. But if you can snag a skull for sub $15, resale isn't going to drop a ton more. When you get that low you are in the ankona/skimmer/whatever class. And the skull is just a much better built/riding boat than those mentioned...

Sorry to derail OP

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
And twice on Sunday!
To be fair, I don’t have a horse in this race. I only know what reviews I have read and from my reading @eastcape has my vote hands down between the two. Also, I would seriously consider an Ankona as @copperhead and crew are stand up folks as well! Have never heard anything buy good about Kevin or Mel and there customer service histories, James

1 - 20 of 30 Posts