Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've collected a bit of fly tying materials over the years including a half dozen or so of various purple stuff but I've never used it. Until a short time ago I'd never tied a fly using craft fur even tho I've had 10 colors long enough that I don't remember when I got it :)

SO

If you don't mind would some of you guys post some pics of your favorite Purple Flies.
Might just inspire to use it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks! I call it the Game Change Gurgler. Its my all time favorite fly and has caught the most fish for me anyway. Especially in the tan color. I use an EP brush for the body. Recipe is a follows:

IMG_5469.jpg

Gama SL11-3H size 6
Pinch of polar fiber (bottom color)
small pinch of crystal flash
pinch of polar fiber (top color)
tie in the foam (2mm i believe)
tie in an EP brush (1.5")
skip up the the eye of the hook
tie in EP game change eyes
tie in weed guard leaving a little space between the two, leave your thread between the eyes and weed guard
wrap the brush up toward and past/around the eyes
finish the brush off between eyes and weed guard
bend the foam over and tie in between the eyes and weed guard
wrap forward and finish the fly off in front of the weed guard
pull ep fibers out to each side and trim so nothing sticks out past the foam (when looking from the top)
trim belly to be flat leaving a little space to expose the hook

Too much polar fiber will cause the fly to sink so don't go too heavy on that or trim off as needed.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks! I call it the Game Change Gurgler. Its my all time favorite fly and has caught the most fish for me anyway. Especially in the tan color. I use an EP brush for the body. Recipe is a follows:

View attachment 61200

Gama SL11-3H size 6
Pinch of polar fiber (bottom color)
small pinch of crystal flash
pinch of polar fiber (top color)
tie in the foam (2mm i believe)
tie in an EP brush (1.5")
skip up the the eye of the hook
tie in EP game change eyes
tie in weed guard leaving a little space between the two, leave your thread between the eyes and weed guard
wrap the brush up toward and past/around the eyes
finish the brush off between eyes and weed guard
bend the foam over and tie in between the eyes and weed guard
wrap forward and finish the fly off in front of the weed guard
pull ep fibers out to each side and trim so nothing sticks out past the foam (when looking from the top)
trim belly to be flat leaving a little space to expose the hook

Too much polar fiber will cause the fly to sink so don't go too heavy on that or trim off as needed.

Enjoy!
Cold front coming Sunday I know what I’m doing. Thanks for the post

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks
very cool flies
book-marked this page so I have some new flies to tie

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I used to do a lot of these for the old Fly Fisherman shop in Titusville... This Big Eye Bendback is done up on a Mustad 34007, 1/0 slightly bent hook the bucktail colors are light purple (or lavender) over gray, over white... We did them both with a bit of lead in the keel and without....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts