Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suppose that there was a boat for sale on here that you had first hand knowledge of and experience with. Suppose that that boat had some significant work done on the hull in the past. If the current owner/seller is not disclosing (or is unaware of) that history, would you get involved, or stay out of it and let nature run its course?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Do you think the seller bought the boat not knowing about the boat having work done or they know and are choosing not to disclose it in the ad? Personally my conscience wouldn’t let me sell it to someone without informing them that the boat had work done to it. Even if it was done professionally by the best.

·
Registered
141 Posts
So I bought a skiff that was kind of like what you describe. The seller disclosed the damage and provided me with extensive photos of the repair work in progress. A Carolina Skiff ran up over the deck and the cap had to be repaired on the bow. Ankona was aware of the damage, and I consulted with them. They confirmed that in their opinion there was no structural damage to the hull. There is a ding on it that was repaired, but it's above the water line. I can see some slight difference in texture and color on the deck where it was repaired, so I probably would have asked, but I really appreciated the honesty of the seller. I think it would be in the best interest of the seller to disclose, but then I have this quirky honest streak in me.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I would disclose the issue if you know about it and the seller is not responding.

I found out (luckily) that a skiff i was seriously interested in was run in the skiff challenge. The seller was not disclosing it, whether or not the seller knows about it I'm not sure, but now everyone that saw my thread about it knows. And if i could make a comment about it in the FB Marketplace add I would.

I have also noticed that a certain member has been flipping skiffs here quite a bit while implying they are his personal boats. I wonder if it's the same guy.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
647 Posts
I would disclose the issue if you know about it and the seller is not responding.

I found out (luckily) that a skiff i was seriously interested in was run in the skiff challenge. The seller was not disclosing it, whether or not the seller knows about it I'm not sure, but now everyone that saw my thread about it knows. And if i could make a comment about it in the FB Marketplace add I would.

I have also noticed that a certain member has been flipping skiffs here quite a bit while implying they are his personal boats. I wonder if it's the same guy.
Seems like they might be insurance auction boats because I never see them for sale before he posts them and they always have some sort of weird patch or not matching paint etc

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Yeah I went to look at a pathfinder he had and it was a basket case, like worth maybe half the asking price, but "poling skiff" am i rite

He said it was his personal boat, but he's had a few different ones up for sale since then so I'm guessing he's flipping for profit.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Although i cant be certain, i dont believe that the skiff in question involves the seller ya’ll are referring to. Also not sure how much of the boat’s history was passed on to the current owner/seller (although i filled him in). The original owner who had the work done was completely transparent about the boat’s history, and as far as i know, there have never been any major issues as it relates to the quality of the repairs. I too appreciated the honesty of that owner, and would hate to see someone down the road have issues with the repairs- especially without knowledge that all that stuff had even been done in the first place. Trying not to sh*t on the guy’s “for sale” thread, but feel free to give me a holler or dm if youre about to buy a skiff off here.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Over the years I’ve bought and sold a lot of stuff. I’ve always been up front about what and how things, if anything, was done by me. If the seller knows about the issue and isn’t disclosing it, that speaks volumes of his/her character imo. As for your part in it.. That’s a tough one, and more so if a friendship is involved. Either way, I think you’ve done well by reaching out to the seller.
I recently encountered a similar issue with a Yamaha outboard. Seller said it was an 05. I asked for serial/model# and turns out it was a 1993. I told the seller and his response was “ well I’m selling it for friend and that’s what he said it was” he never corrected the the ad. I couldn’t say anything because it was a MP listing and no comment section was available. Otherwise I’d have mentioned it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
642 Posts
IMO I don’t know that I’d ”overshare” information as a seller, I've run into more and more buyers over the last several years that are so wishy washy expecting a brand new item for 50% of less of the cost. If they want to pay to have it inspected, they are free to do so.

I would in no way attempt to screw someone by selling something with a problem/failure as “pristine”, or lie about anything if asked, but at some point you’re selling a functional used boat as such.

It‘s like the guy that bought a used east cape (left out the used part) but then trashed them over the rod holders being staggered without even knowing if they had been installed by the manufacturer, previous owner, or some “backyard boat mechanic.”

My wife’s car was clipped while parked by someone renting our carriage house, purely cosmetic damage that was repaired perfectly by the best shop in town. I’d honestly forgotten it had been damaged until reading this thread, and I wouldn’t feel compelled to tell somebody looking at buying it “you know this thing has been hit and repaired.” If they asked about any accidents, paint work, etc I would absolutely share everything I knew. Not the same to me as trying to dump a car that doesn’t drive right or chews up tires after an accident as “original”.

To the OP, if you had some knowledge like “I sold this boat to so and so for $6,000 because it needed the stringers replaced, now he is trying to sell it two weeks later for $14,000, without repairing or disclosing it“, yes I’d be inclined to say something.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts