Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone using a chevy colorado V6 4x2 without the G80 limited slip differential to pull your boat ? Just wondering how it would perform on a steep or wet ramp. Hard to find any limited slip colorados. presently using a gen 2 ridgeline with AWD. appreciate any input.

·
Registered
355 Posts
anyone using a chevy colorado V6 4x2 without the G80 limited slip differential to pull your boat ? Just wondering how it would perform on a steep or wet ramp. Hard to find any limited slip colorados. presently using a gen 2 ridgeline with AWD. appreciate any input.
What size boat?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Biggest question is stopping ability that truck should tow that skiff fairly easy I would say. I pull a 18 foot flatsboat with a 2 door Jeep Wrangler and my 22 foot Panga with my wife's 4 runner they're both 4 wheel drive though.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
191 Posts
I use a 2020 Colorado V6 2 wheel drive to pull a Super Skiff. Plenty of power and no problem pulling up a ramp. It does have a Posi traction rear end though. If yours will have no Posi that may not work as well on a slippery or dirt ramp. You could always add a limited slip differential if you can't find one already equipped. The parts would be about 600.00 plus labor for an aftermarket unit.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,836 Posts
My 2012 Ford Expedition pulls my big flats boat no trouble. Just 2 wheel drive. I haven't had any problem with ramps from NC to FL

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Don’t know about the differential. Had a gen 2 2015 in-line 4 Colorado that never had an issue on any ramps.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I pulled my boat for a long time using a 2017 Ridgeline. I thought it did great on the highway as well as the ramp. Sold it yesterday.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Ok.....you have plenty of power........if u ever have a problem pulling out just back up a little to float the boat and then hit it, to get some forward motion, and you will get out

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the comments, my ridgeline tows fine,like the truck, its just the most costly truck to maintain ive ever owned, one transmission oil change @ 175.00, 2 transmission flushes at 400.00 each because the truck was lurching, AWD fluid change another 175.00 which i now do myself for 25.00, timing belt change coming due soon at 1500.00 and then spark plugs, would rather trade it in than spend that 1500.00 on a timing belt, not a free wheeling engine so if timing belt breaks the engine is toast, again, thanks for all the info

·
I Love microskiff.com!
191 Posts
I did the timing belt, water pump, and tensioners while I was in there on my wife's Honda V6. Thought I was going to break the bolt on the damper off before it finally broke loose with a breaker bar with a 4 foot pipe on it. That's why it's $1500.00, which should include the water pump and tensioner. An air powered impact wrench would not budge that bolt.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My dad pulls his 19 Carolina with a Colorodo 2WD. Never been an issue and that boat is much heavier than most of your skiffs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rovster, wish I knew if your dads colorado had the g80 differential or not, if not that would seal the deal for me. some 2 wheel drives have it some don't. Yes it does include the water pump and tensioner, i'm an old guy and even though i've change a number of timing belts on chrysler products i've learned my limits. this will be my last truck to finish out my shallow water days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts