Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Wanted to poll the crowd to see if anyone had some good techniques for the proper waxing of a skiff.

I admittedly haven't done a whole lot of waxing (of anything) in my life before, other than the occasional job on my old Redfisher (sold several months ago). With the new one (used 2014 HB Pro) I want to ensure I keep this thing immaculate for years to come.

I know there's a wealth of knowledge on this site, so my hope is to leverage some experience rather than learning the hard way (although I'm sure I'll be doing some of that, too).

Stuff you should know:
- 2014 HB Professional 17'8"; gel coat is still shiny, no fading, no water/scum stains
- It was a guide boat for two years before I purchased it, so it has a fair amount of oyster scratches/nicks on the bottom and near the bow, but nothing too crazy. I'll eventually look to gelcoat/buff some of those out, but for now just looking to protect what I've got.
- I have both the 3m Ultra Performance Paste Wax as well as some McGuire's one-step cleaner/wax; also have Woody's spray wax which I was told by my guide-buddy to use on the deck/non-skid/and virtually everything on the top side.
- I'm planning to use the 3m product to do the outside of the boat
- I use Woody's spray wax to coat the deck/non-skid and metal every few weeks or so. I've simply been spraying it on the non-skid/platforms, console, etc and then wipe off with microfiber until it's coating everything.
- I don't have a buffer, just a lot of micro fiber towels and applicator pads
- Not opposed to buying a decent buffer if that's the consensus from the experienced guys on here
- Not opposed to using "elbow-grease" and doing the job by hand, either
- Boat is stored in the garage, out of the sun, and would ideally like to apply the wax inside the garage with adequate ventilation

The boat has already been cleaned with Woody's boat soap. My plan is to apply the 3m product in 2' x 2' patches at a time around the entire boat, once that stuff dries to a haze, polish with microfiber towels until it leaves a clean shine.

Am I missing anything big here? Any techniques, gotchas, or other nice-to-knows?

I searched trying to find similar forums, but really couldn't find much. Hopefully this thread can become a decent source for other like-minded individuals going forward.

I greatly appreciate your time and help giving me the required rudder steer. Thanks!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'll be doing my yearly wax this weekend, as well. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so i'm actually wet sanding the bottom of the hull and then doing a multi-step process...
If I were to just want to apply wax only, doing it by hand isn't a bad option, but with a buffer, you will get better results in a 1/10th of the time.

If you do decide to use a buffer, be mindful of the pressure and speed you run the buffer. You can burn through the gel coat if you are careless (which I doubt you'll be). If you want additional information or help with buffing techniques, shoot me a pm and i'll get steer you the right way direction.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your starting out with a pretty clean slate. All i would do is get something like Orpine wash and wax clean regulary with that. Every few months reapply that woodys with a soft deck brush and a few sprays. You really dont need to use much of the woodys to get your nonskid to keep from staining. Every few months use meguirs flagship wax. Stuff goes on easy comes off easy.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
244 Posts
Hey Guys,

Wanted to poll the crowd to see if anyone had some good techniques for the proper waxing of a skiff.

I admittedly haven't done a whole lot of waxing (of anything) in my life before, other than the occasional job on my old Redfisher (sold several months ago). With the new one (used 2014 HB Pro) I want to ensure I keep this thing immaculate for years to come.

I know there's a wealth of knowledge on this site, so my hope is to leverage some experience rather than learning the hard way (although I'm sure I'll be doing some of that, too).

Stuff you should know:
- 2014 HB Professional 17'8"; gel coat is still shiny, no fading, no water/scum stains
- It was a guide boat for two years before I purchased it, so it has a fair amount of oyster scratches/nicks on the bottom and near the bow, but nothing too crazy. I'll eventually look to gelcoat/buff some of those out, but for now just looking to protect what I've got.
- I have both the 3m Ultra Performance Paste Wax as well as some McGuire's one-step cleaner/wax; also have Woody's spray wax which I was told by my guide-buddy to use on the deck/non-skid/and virtually everything on the top side.
- I'm planning to use the 3m product to do the outside of the boat
- I use Woody's spray wax to coat the deck/non-skid and metal every few weeks or so. I've simply been spraying it on the non-skid/platforms, console, etc and then wipe off with microfiber until it's coating everything.
- I don't have a buffer, just a lot of micro fiber towels and applicator pads
- Not opposed to buying a decent buffer if that's the consensus from the experienced guys on here
- Not opposed to using "elbow-grease" and doing the job by hand, either
- Boat is stored in the garage, out of the sun, and would ideally like to apply the wax inside the garage with adequate ventilation

The boat has already been cleaned with Woody's boat soap. My plan is to apply the 3m product in 2' x 2' patches at a time around the entire boat, once that stuff dries to a haze, polish with microfiber towels until it leaves a clean shine.

Am I missing anything big here? Any techniques, gotchas, or other nice-to-knows?

I searched trying to find similar forums, but really couldn't find much. Hopefully this thread can become a decent source for other like-minded individuals going forward.

I greatly appreciate your time and help giving me the required rudder steer. Thanks!
Do you have awl grip on your deck? If so I would avoid the Woody Wax.

I never wax below the waterline. The wax gets stripped after running the boat a couple times. Have been a fan of the paste type of waxes. Seem to hold a lot longer than the liquid forms despite the extra elbow grease to apply.

·
Brandon, FL
10,509 Posts
Carnuba wax is the best wax you can buy. However, it is very expensive if you find it in pure form. The variants today water it down a lot. Another drawback is it yellows with time.

Nu-finish is a synthetic polish and does a great job.

·
Registered
139 Posts
dont sweat it. if the boat ends up dulling or discoloring, some compound will fix the problem.

most waxes should be fine. Just make sure to let the wax dry before buffing it off dry. if you apply with some elbow grease, it sometimes removes stains. wax your metals and cowling also. its not just the wax thats important, but it makes you clean the nooks and crannies which are easily forgotten about.

biggest thing that will help keep the boat looking new is keeping it out of the sun. if it is covered or garage stored, wax is not going to make or break anything besides making it easier to clean.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Get a buffer. If money is an object harbor freight has one that works pretty good, I have used my son's. When I buy one it will be either Milwaukee or Makita. DO NOT use a grinder with a buffing pad. you need to buff at a pretty low speed.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
394 Posts
Best advice I can give is washing it before the salt has time to dry on the skiff and give a thorough rinse prior to scrubbing! Also if you use atwo in one wash turtle wax wash n' wax is what I use biggest thing people neglect is drying I always shammy the boat dry that helps to give a half ass buff and keeps water spots off your skiff. I do use woody wax but usually every other couple trips or when I notice the sheen is gone. Everything else has already been mentioned but I will hit on keeping it out of the sun is very important uv kills everything from the tires to the gel coat! Good luck!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,347 Posts
Maguire's Marine/RV on the hull. Starbrite or West Marine non-skid cleaner (PTFE) mixed with the boat soap every time you wash the skiff. The PTFE film will keep your non-skid clean. No power washing and no wax on the non-skid surfaces. I wash the skiff mostly every time after use.

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,591 Posts
If the gelcoat is in great shape and no oxidation, I'd give it a good bath with Smoove Ultimate Boat Wash followed by a hand polishing using Starbrite's Premium Marine Polish with PTEF. The polish goes on really easy and then you just do a hand buff. I do this 2x a year and the shine always looks great.

For every day cleaning, I use the Smoove Wash and follow with Starbrite Deck Cleaner with PTEF.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,590 Posts
Do you have awl grip on your deck? If so I would avoid the Woody Wax.

I never wax below the waterline. The wax gets stripped after running the boat a couple times. Have been a fan of the paste type of waxes. Seem to hold a lot longer than the liquid forms despite the extra elbow grease to apply.
Interested in this comment about not using Woody's Wax on Awl Grip. I've heard similar advice and recently bought Awlwash for cleaning the non-skid and Awlcare to protect the surface. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Again, Nu-finish

wash w/ a proper car/boat soap ...shammy....nu-finish...once or twice a yr.....save the sweat and the money

1 - 16 of 16 Posts