Prop suggestions for 18HP Nissan 2 stroke

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by jwarren, Sep 16, 2013.

1. jwarren

jwarren I Love microskiff.com!

I would like to get a little more top end out of motor for 14' Stumpknocker. Motor is short shaft with SE 200 foil...cav plate currently sits about 1" below transom but I do plan on raising it 2-3" with riser/JP.

I tested it with the following results...OEM RPM range is recommended 5200-5800. Current prop is OEM 3 blade, 9.2x9. Light load....3 gallon tank, me, motor, and about 30 # of junk in side storage.

Best trim setting was # 3 hole in bracket....average 21.8 mph at 5550 rpm. At next trim setting, # 4 hole, top end increased about 1 MPH but so did extended bow rise during take off.

I'm open to considering a better prop like Powertech...perhaps a 4 blade in pitch of 8 with heaving cupping???

2. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are doing pretty good :)

3. jwarren

Thanks....I still think I can do better perhaps with a 4 blade Powertech. Isn't there a tech guy at Powertech that one can call for advice?

4. jwarren

I'd like a little better hole shot and the ability to get on plane quicker at lower speeds. Would decreasing pitch to 8 and adding heavy cup help with this? Or, do I need to consider a 4 blade?

5. jwarren

Just got a new Solas 3 blade in 8 pitch, one pitch lower, for $55 on sale. Can't wait to try out....should do the trick. I finished my riser so I can experiment with different heights on transom.

6. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

Must have missed this?

You'll go up in RPM with the smaller prop obviously and get a better hole shot. Maybe top end? I'm not sure on that.

A 4 blade prop will be slower but will get you the hole shot and lower planing speeds.

7. jwarren

Thanks...that's what I figured. At $58 bucks, I thought it was worth going this route first.