Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I just paid a substantial amount of money for a new prop, I am looking for a prop lock. It seems like the McGard is by far the most common when I search online. There are a couple of videos on Youtube of how to quickly defeat a McGard lock with a screwdriver and vise-grip pliers. Therefore, I am wondering if anyone can suggest an alternative that is more secure? This is for a Tohatsu 50HP. Thanks.

·
Banned
276 Posts
Definitely take the prop off. I have to remove several per year with a puller because they have never been off the shaft. It'll be a good maintenance item.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
When I bought my current skiff it had a McGuard on it...on the cheap dinged up factory aluminum prop...I can speak for the security of it. I didn't have the key and it took me two days to get it off. If you factor in crackhead superpowers of theft, it should still keep somebody occupied for long enough that it's not worth it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I bought my current skiff it had a McGuard on it...on the cheap dinged up factory aluminum prop...I can speak for the security of it. I didn't have the key and it took me two days to get it off. If you factor in crackhead superpowers of theft, it should still keep somebody occupied for long enough that it's not worth it.
Should have checked Youtube. There are several videos of how to remove a McGard witha a screwdriver and a pair of ViseGrips in about 15 seconds. I guess I'll get good at removing and reinstalling my prop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts