Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 Mercury 25 hp. I installed a new prop yesterday and when we took it out it was over revving. I first thought that the thrust hub and thrust washer was not connected right but I’m not sure. I don’t think it could be a spin hub because it reverse the revs would get up. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hard to tell without more details.
When the boat gets towards planing the prop over revs. I don’t think the thrust washer is seated correctly but can’t fit it in the spindle thing. The motor just iverevs with no thrust. I doubt that it could be it was tilted down too far so I’m not sure. If there are other details you need let me know.

·
Registered
994 Posts
FYI, the business I bought it from ( don’t recall who now) told me that although they don’t warranty spun hubs, if it happened the first day I ran it there was obviously something wrong with it. They sent me a new one free. Just sayin’......

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm interesting. This is great information hipshot. One question. There is a hub that seats into the thrust washer and a bearing sort of deal that can twist off. It seems as if the hub should seat inside of that bearing. This is what I assumed the issue was but maybe I’m wrong and the thrust washer/thrust hub assembly is just loose. Is there a way to check if the hub is spun?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Look closely at the rubber hub for signs that it was spinning; I’d let a prop shop or marine technician look at it if you’re not sure what you’re seeing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts