Prop for F60

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by kangaroo14, Nov 23, 2008.

1. kangaroo14

kangaroo14 Well-Known Member

I have a 160 scout sportfish and was given a 10.5/14 3 blade ss prop along with the aluminum prop on the engine. When I had the engine serviced I figured I have him put it on he said it was a high revving prop and would burn my motor out so I decided not to put it on. My question is what would that prop be for and what size prop do I want 3 or 4 blade? Also with the factory prop I was getting 30mph at 5100rpm with full tank (18g) and two people I was pretty happy with this speed what could I expect from a performance prop with the standard load and two people thanks alot.

2. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

your F-60 4-stroke max recommended RPM is 5000-6000 Rpm range.  well....try to put your current stainless steel prop to see if u can around 5500-5800 rpm.  It's not gotta hurt if U running around 5800 rpm range and makes the engine happy.

5100 Rpm seems sluglish at 31 mph.

dont listen to your mechanic until u find out for yourself on the water with your S.S propeller then u can find out what is max RPM range.

IF your motor revving more than 6000 rpm with this S.S prop then u need more pitch to gain back to Recommend RPM range.
     what is your diameter and pitch for Aluminum and S.S prop?

3. kangaroo14

Thanks for the post, as to the current dimensions of the aluminum prop I have no idea I would think it is the original factory prop I'll go and check

4. kangaroo14

sorry for such delay, but I couldn't find any dimensions on the prop, but what I did find was it was stamped g-11. What would be my best bet for a better performance? I would like to go alittle faster at less rpms and possibly conserve on fuel thanks for any help

5. edauphin

edauphin Well-Known Member

I just purchased a 2005 Scout 160 with the F60. I've only have been able to run it once during the trial, but it ran up to 36 mph at 6000 rpm (2 onboard with half tank).  It has a stainless 3 blade. I'll have to take the prop off to get the size.  I was thinking about going up on pitch to bring the rpm's down to 5800. I'll let you know what size I have on it now.  As long as I can run in the mid-30's I'll be satisfied. This rig is going to get great fuel mileage under either configuration.