Prop for 1998 Merc 25

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by rkmurphy, Apr 10, 2009.

1. rkmurphy

rkmurphy Well-Known Member

I have a Carolina Skiff J16 with a Merc 25 tiller short shaft. Plan on replacing the prop asap. I'm looking for prices on a 3 blade aluminum, 3 blade stainless, and price for resurfacing (correct term?) the OEM prop.

Also, pitch suggestions for best all around performance?

Thanks in advance.

2. REELKEEN

REELKEEN I Love microskiff.com!

I've got a 4 and a 3 from Capt.Ron right now. I'm running them both again tommorrow. I'll let you know what works on my 97 25 horse.

3. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

I told Capt run what I wanted and he sent it overnight, easy,fast and a fair deal.

theskiffshop.com

4. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

I'm running quicksilver stainless steel 10x13 with standard cup for all round performance. $299

10x15 quicksilver s.s propeller for running solo and top end speed. $299

10x12 4 blade propeller for heavier load and running shallow. $387

5. rkmurphy

I think I'm going to stick with the 10 3/8 x 13. I'll keep it going with aluminum, for now, and I want to end up going with stainless. Capt Ron made a good point..."if you're satisfied with the performance you're getting now, why switch?" So now I just need a new OEM one...

6. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Sounds like it's time for a change jar on the nightstand.
    Every time you empty your pockets, the change goes in the jar.
    You'll be surprised how fast a propeller can be financed that way.
    Or a fishing rod, new lure, spark plugs... ;)

7. rkmurphy

It's funny you say that. I used to use cash for everything and I did exactly that. I accumulated probably close to $100 fairly quickly. But now I've joined the plastic generation...never any cash on me :(

8. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

I went back to cash for that reason alone, my change jar sat empty after the last time I cashed it in for a new toy.

2 months later and I'm ready to cash it in again.

9. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

I am all for the piggy bank theory...that stuff adds up faster than points at Bass Pro.

10. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

piggy banks have changed with the times too...counts, sorts, stacks
    save for that new part and see how close you're getting to purchase time.

http://www.magnif.com/4875.htm

[​IMG]

11. rkmurphy

I just sold back a bunch of my old text books and got some extra money. Not much but enough for a new prop and to pay off some bills :)

12. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

I haven't spend change in years. If it's $10.05 I hand them $11.00 and put the change in the change jar every night. Usually by year's end I wind up with about $300, which typically covers gas or a flight for a vacation/getaway.

Last year I rolled it over as I wasn't sure about the upcoming economy, so this year I am hoping to have some good sheckles in there by summer's end!!

-T

13. Kemo

Kemo The world is flat....and shallow.

Change jars are too visible. They'll get stolen, and you'll have nothing for proof. I had several hundred Sacagawea dollar coins, and when my house was burglarized, they took them. They tried to pawn them (they weren't real bright). I got back most of my stuff, but not the coins. They caught the weasels because I had everything documented. Except the cash. If you save your change, don't leave it on the night stand. Put it someplace safe, where it can't be seen. Use a coffee can and keep it in the back of the cupboard. Just my 2 cents.

Kemo :cool:

14. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

If they break into my house and rob me the change jar will be the least of my worries...

If I'm home it might just be the last thing they see before they go!

-T