Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Prop-Anode Interference

750 Views 14 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Rookiemistake
I received my new Baumann prop to replace the Powertech I had, but the new prop hits the engine prop anode. I’m debating whether to cut the whole fin off versus grinding the fin to fit.

Anybody have experience with this?

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Musical instrument Silver Circle Plant Automotive wheel system

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Dont they sell a anode without the fin ? Thought i had seen some in past ....

Rudder button ? If you can find one the correct size ,you could save that one incase you go back or to a different prop that excepts it

Or you could say to heck with it and cut the fin off that one ....😁

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
18,816 Posts
This is normal for these custom hole shot and shallow water performance props. I install custom Foreman and Baumann props on just about every skiff that comes through my shop and I cut the fin off just about every one. With hydraulic steering you can’t tell if the fin is missing and as stated, if you run the lower unit up very much at all or have a jack plate the fin is barely in the water if at all once on plane.

Sky Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Aircraft

· Registered
31 Posts
I received my new Baumann prop to replace the Powertech I had, but the new prop hits the engine prop anode. I’m debating whether to cut the whole fin off versus grinding the fin to fit.

Anybody have experience with this?

View attachment 227692
View attachment 227690
View attachment 227691
Common problem with big three blade cupped props, at least for me. I ground mine down, it took maybe five minutes, preferring to leave more zinc to protect the motor. I agree with hydraulic steering you probably can't tell a difference if you just got rid of it.

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
18,816 Posts
Common problem with big three blade cupped props, at least for me. I ground mine down, it took maybe five minutes, preferring to leave more zinc to protect the motor. I agree with hydraulic steering you probably can't tell a difference if you just got rid of it.
I’ve done this too but can only imagine one stray oyster shell between the prop and anode will cause some damage to the high dollar prop and or prop shaft. Most of the time you notch the fin and there’s still only 1/4-5/16” clearance between the two before the fin is compromised if you notch it more. It’s never happened but I have this problem with predicting and preventing scenarios before they happen. Probably from working on high pressure oil and gas production equipment and preserving life and expensive mistakes. I’d rather just cut the fin off, never had any issues with too little zinc left.

· Registered
3,069 Posts
I have the same prop and same motor and no clearance issues. Is that thrust washer or whatever the technical term is on correctly? Btw, that black plastic stopper (#3) would not fit on my setup.

Finger Wood Bumper Gas Stonemason's hammer

Parallel Font Auto part Machine Line art

1 - 15 of 15 Posts