Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
4-5 years ago my fishing buddy and I were talking and in that conversation he planted the idea of me building my own boat. For years I researched plans, materials, and ideas to come up with the impossible, perfect boat. I finally settled on a Bateau plan and ordered a set but it was still missing something. After ordering all my materials for the build I stumbled across Salt Boatworks and Adam's new FRS-14 plan with reverse chines. Though it was not perfect either I could easily modify the plan to fit my wants and needs so, I ordered a set of plans and fortunately my materials would still work!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The first thing I did was to decide exactly what modifications I wanted to make. The bow deck had to be raised level with the gunnels and I wanted a splash rail and a location to mount the bumper. With the mods penciled in, it was time to start fabrication. This tracing/transfering patterns is harder than it looks.

Reactions: commtrd

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scarphing ended up being easier than I thought it would be. I planed mirror images to make sure they were exact duplicates prior to epoxying.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With everything scarphed and "dress right dress", it is time to start stitching her together.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to tell y'all, I get so many ideas from reading through your build threads! The first idea/design I stole is Mike's hatch design.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With everything epoxied into place it was time to flip her. She's really starting to look like a boat!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for blasting everything up here all at one time. I just figured out how to upload the pictures. This build has been going on for 2 months now and my work shop/storage shed is less than ideal but I am making the cramped and cluttered 14x20 work.

Michael

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Waiting years to start combined with my goal of having a boat that looks production built rather than home built has allowed me to breathe and take it all in.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will add that this is my first boat build and first time working with fiberglass and epoxy other than speaker boxes back in the early 90's. This is a solo project so I had to get a little creative on glassing. I tied a 1x1 suspended mid way over the hull to hold the glass up and out of the way. This proved to be very helpful.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I read so many times that most people use way to much resin so I have made it a point to be very careful of this. I used just enough epoxy to make the white of the glass turn clear and that's it.

With the glass laid it was time to move to the next modification I made to the plan, the splash rail.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I doubled the closed cell foam with a layer of glass between and on both sides to add strength. I went this route because when I start working on the gunnels the flip up cleats will be recessed and mounted flush.

I banded the foam and 6mm with a 2" strip of 6mm. This is what I will attach the bumper to plus it gives me a 1/2" turn down below the foam. For the strips along the bow I cut 1/8" grooves every 1" to assist in conforming to the radius.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After the epoxy cured I removed the screws and glassed it into place. Cutting the navigation lights into a perfectly dry hull was very difficult for me to do! The strakes actually went down easier than I expected.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This morning after I got off duty I coated the hull with epoxy with graphite. Now I can start posting in real time. After this cures I will scuff the hull and start faring her out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got a little more work in today. Temperatures are hovering right at 90* here in Texas right now so I called it a day but not before enjoying a cigar and covering half the hull in TotalBoat epoxy faring compound.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fortunately I ordered some dust masks late last year for the build because I am about to need them!

Michael

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The cake has been frosted! What I spread yesterday is rock solid so tomorrow I will start sanding her out!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This meme pretty much sums up the past couple weeks.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts