Prohibited Areas in Tampa Bay

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by zlenart, Nov 28, 2017.

1. zlenart

zlenart Well-Known Member

Pretty difficult to find this info anywhere online, but I'm trying to figure out where I cannot legally duck hunt in the Tampa Bay area so I can avoid getting a huge fine.

I know you can't hunt weedon island, but wasn't able to find much else on the rest of the bay. Is everywhere around Ruskin and Terra Ceia okay?

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

It is way easier to explain than describe.

Anywhere NOT:
    Within the city limit
    400 feet from a dwelling
    400 feet from a road
    A fed/state/county park/refuge.

Hunt literally the entire bay. Just don't hunt where a homeowner is going to get pissed at you.

North of 60 up by Double branch has lots of birds. S of Gandy in the middle has LOTS of birds.

The bay is not your normal hunting in the weeds.

3. mtoddsolomon

mtoddsolomon Lip Ripper

I used to him around gibsonton area, there is one island that literally has a sign saying bird sanctuary but never had an issue other than that. Always saw ducks down there too

4. zlenart

I’ll check out the upper bay for sure and I was looking at the cockroach area too. I’m in St Pete so it looks like I’m gonna have to drive pretty far either way.

Thanks for the info!

5. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Launch at ONeills, go under the bridge and head out to the shallow areas 1/2 to 1 mile east of the bridge.

6. zlenart

Should be interesting hunting in the open like that. Do you just cover the boat with a blind and then wade somehwhere else?

7. mtoddsolomon

mtoddsolomon Lip Ripper

I always set out decoys and pushed my boat in the mangroves and hunted behind other mangroves.

8. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

Can you point me to a reference on the distance? I have never read it anywhere official, but others have told me 200 yards from homes/roads (maybe those guys were just being on the safe side?)

9. zlenart

Yeah that's what I've done, but I don't think there are many mangroves down there away from houses. So I'm guessing @DuckNut means out in the open.

10. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Yep. Flocks with hundreds and sometimes thousands. You may pick off 1 or 2 along the mangroves but out in open water are where the ducks are.

11. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

I grew up in MI and that is what the law is there. Ironically, there is no law in the state of FL.

With that being said, if you discharge a firearm you are liable for the damage and duck loads will never do any damage at 400 feet. Also, just because you are legal to hunt right next to someones dock does not mean you should.

You have seen how pissed off people get when you fish around their docks - try blasting ducks at dawn and see what a rabid raped ape the owner turns into.

I hope this goes without saying but check with local authorities and be sure to write their name and the time of your call. Because I am positive they do not have a clue.

For example: There is a Federal law somewhere that states that the local sheriff's office maintain a list of places that are not open to hunting. Some years ago I called the office and the lady had no idea what I was talking about. She went on to say that if there was a ramp for public use then it was legal to hunt.

yobata likes this.
  12. zlenart

That’s crazy. I guess a good blind is important than. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!