progress

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by jms, May 14, 2011.

1. jms

jms don't let common sense get in your way

here's my micro skiff - it's a carolina skiff j12
    i haven't had much time to work on it - too many other jobs to do first...
    here's the console i made - awlgripped "fightin' lady yellow",i battery's tucked inside,vhf's flush mounted - nice clean install - just gotta install the steering now...

2. jms

these are "rigging tubes",takes a few mins to build - these are gel coated to match the color of the hull - run your engine/equpiment rigging down them - makes for a neat clean install - these were laminated to the inside hull

3. jms

LED's installed under the aft deck - one on each side - lites up the deck in the dark

when it's all done - i'll post up the finished pictures - may be a while -i'm a little behind @ work

4. pgmelton

pgmelton I Love microskiff.com!

Nice work. You guys set the bar high.

Did you make that center console from scratch? I going back and forth about whether I want one. A central for battery, radio, etc. would be nice, but on a 13ft 2inch boat space may be nicer.

Great job, I can't wait to see the finished boat.

5. pgmelton

Nice work. You guys set the bar high.

Did you make that center console from scratch? I going back and forth about whether I want one. A central for battery, radio, etc. would be nice, but on a 13ft 2inch boat space may be nicer.

Great job, I can't wait to see the finished boat.

6. jms

i had to make a mold first - none of the molds i have were small enough...

built the plug,then i made a mold

the console's not finished - the door has to go on it,and the switches - only 2 needed nav lites and LED lites

when the boat's complete - i'll post pictures

gotta finish the boat behind it,and 3 other's before i can complete it...

perhaps,you would like to see how to build a mold ?

7. pgmelton

Kreepa, I would love to take you up on that offer. Thanks in advance.

8. aeilers

aeilers I Love microskiff.com!

"rigging tubes" Can you tell me a little bit more about them..
    I recently bought a 16ft skiff all wires/cords are on the top of deck... what material is that? how can I obtain ? I been looking to buy something like that.

9. jms

those "tubes" are made of fiberglass - use a piece of 2" pvc - cut it in half - you've got your "mold" - now,place the mold on a piece of gloss formica - larger than the pvc piece - wax the formica a few times - it needs to be slick smooth.use chop strand - cut it so it extends onto the gloss formica-this makes the flat flange.use a few layers of 1.5oz chop strand ...don't use epoxy with chop strand - use the cheap polyester resin.after the glass kicks - brush some gel coat on it.
    gel coat - there's 2 types,"laminating" gel - this will not fully kick when exposed to the atmosphere - you need to coat it in pva,for a fully kicked hard finish
    "air dry" gel - this has a wax in it,that wax will rise to the surface and allow the gel to fully kick

to laminate these to the hull - i use a lamination mix of epoxy - this assures a good bond to the hull - wipe the inside of the tube,before laminating,with vaseline,or,spray it in pva - this will prevent the lamination mix from clogging the tube - the mix will kick,but,it won't adhere - it can be easily be removed.i twisted up some matching gell,and brushed them out...it's a nice touch

if you're local to me,you can run by and grab a few - "on the house"...

10. aeilers

aeilers I Love microskiff.com!

where are you located exactly..