Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you's price used Fly Fishing Equipment ?

Reason for asking, a good friend recently passed away and is a Fly Fishing only fisherman. His significant other has asked me about liquidating his equipment. I do not have an inventory yet but will get to that soon when the mental pain of the passing settles down.
For sure he has several fly reels and rods, plus vice and lots fo fly tying supplies. Several rods are Sage and Nautilus reels, but not sure of model, age, condition.

I see the resale people ask and it sure seems high percentage wise, compared to a car, computer, or other things in life.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
65 Posts
If it is high end gear, consider at least 60% off retail to start assuming good condition (but you might need to cut more - 70 - 80% could be realistic). For perspectives, close out for new rods (like the Sage One with warranty) being discontinued and replaced by an update were selling for 40 or 50% off by retailers. Some of the mid-range and entry level gear is harder to move. I think I recall seeing the Orvis Helios 2 at around a 40% markdown (new, with warranty) when the 3 came out.

Occasionally, there will be some special items that might go for more, like some highly sought after reels and a few special models of classic rods.

There is a Facebook group for used fly gear, but I can’t recall the name.

Also, perhaps you have a local chapter of FFI or a local high school fly fishing club. I have donated some gear to Project Healing Waters.

A friend let me pick a rod from his deceased fathers collection. That will remain a priceless and cherished gift.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If it is high end gear, consider at least 60% off retail to start assuming good condition (but you might need to cut more - 70 - 80% could be realistic). For perspectives, close out for new rods (like the Sage One with warranty) being discontinued and replaced by an update were selling for 40 or 50% off by retailers. Some of the mid-range and entry level gear is harder to move. I think I recall seeing the Orvis Helios 2 at around a 40% markdown (new, with warranty) when the 3 came out.

Occasionally, there will be some special items that might go for more, like some highly sought after reels and a few special models of classic rods.

There is a Facebook group for used fly gear, but I can’t recall the name.

Also, perhaps you have a local chapter of FFI or a local high school fly fishing club. I have donated some gear to Project Healing Waters.

A friend let me pick a rod from his deceased fathers collection. That will remain a priceless and cherished gift.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.
Wow, I need you to do my shopping for me if you can find those kinds of prices. I have personally never seen a high-end reel (Tibor, Abel) depreciate to the degree you’re describing. Rods tend to devalue more, but even those do not generally get to 70 or 80 percent of retail until they’re practically antiques. The logic that because they could be acquired at 30 or even 40 percent off MSRP at close out therefore the used market is less than that might sound valid, but is not at all supported by reality. That would mean a used Scott Meridian ($865 MSRP) would now go for $250 or even less? Yeah, no. Maybe in 2030. For value products, I agree completely. Buying a Lamson reel is like buying a Dodge truck: solid product overall, but the savings on the front end tends to get you on the back end at trade in time too.

To the OP, sorry about your friend as well. Good fishing buddies are hard to find. In terms of pricing, there really isn’t a magic number in terms of percentage off original price. I would suggest making a list of items. Searching each item on eBay, and watching auctions to get a sense for the market.

A fly reel is not a fly reel, for example. Some retain value better than others. Things like clothing and flies can sometimes lose all practical value. Like anything else, supply and demand dictates the price, and make, model, and condition are going to be the key variables.

As somewhat of an aside, it seems the used market has changed a lot as the generational membership of its participants has shifted. At the risk of offending all the Millennials, let me just point out that the wading boots you bought for $200 are not worth $195 even though you “only wore them once.”

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for replies... told the GF that I would try and get by this week to do an inventory

What about shipping rods ? How do you go about that ?
I think I remember that he had/has a couple 10' single piece rods.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Very true with what Rookiemistake mentioned. Any single piece rods will be a PITA to ship and are usually best to sell locally. The four piece rods are easy to ship, and USPS sells a perfect sized box for rod tubes.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it worth the time to go by local fly shops and see what they might pay ?

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
When my pop passed , I reached out to his fishing buddies ,very few were left ,to see if they wanted anything in particular. at that point in time I decided to just Pass it down. ,take a kid fishing so to speak. I’ve asked the recipients to pay it forward. it takes time to get it in the hands of people who will appreciate it , I ve met solid folks thru this process. He spent a lifetime putting that collection together. Do your due diligence good luck and God bless

We all have ton of gear we don’t use anymore. Put it in the hands of someone who will. I know what will happen to my gear.... we ve all got “ granddads fishing pole “for a reason . Be pro active

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Post a list of what he has along with condition and I'm sure the microskiff community can provide some guidance.

·
Registered
189 Posts
One of the problems with used rods is the sheer number of models out there and the fact that very few models stand the test of time and remain popular.

EBAY is the best place to get true value on pre-owned. There are normally 12,000+ rods listed.
Be precise on the exact model, weight, length and search completed auctions only. This is what I do when pricing used rods that customers bring to my shop.

Sorry for your loss. You should pick a few cherry rods to keep with you.

Ken

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1820 Action Craft
810 Posts
One of the problems with used rods is the sheer number of models out there and the fact that very few models stand the test of time and remain popular.

EBAY is the best place to get true value on pre-owned. There are normally 12,000+ rods listed.
Be precise on the exact model, weight, length and search completed auctions only. This is what I do when pricing used rods that customers bring to my shop.

Sorry for your loss. You should pick a few cherry rods to keep with you.

Ken
Agree, don’t look at asking price on EBay, look at what they sold for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts