Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprisingly i found a Gheenoe on California craigslist!. I want to use this for Bass fishing on local lakes here. Is $3500 with motor and trailer a good price? Seems fair if motor is in great shape. I am researching Gheenoes now but it seems like a good solutions for a simple boat that is easy to trailer. Like said looking to fly fish for bass with my 6 year old son... and maybe drag it somewhere salty in the future:)

here is the craigslist

·
Registered
2019 Jackson Mayfly, 2018 Jackson Kilroy DT
192 Posts
Surprisingly i found a Gheenoe on California craigslist!. I want to use this for Bass fishing on local lakes here. Is $3500 with motor and trailer a good price? Seems fair if motor is in great shape. I am researching Gheenoes now but it seems like a good solutions for a simple boat that is easy to trailer. Like said looking to fly fish for bass with my 6 year old son... and maybe drag it somewhere salty in the future:)

here is the craigslist
Almost looks too good to be true!

·
Registered
378 Posts
The model that is in the ad is not a NMZ (made by Custom Gheenoe) it is a standard 15.4 made by Gheenoe Mfg. With that said it would work just fine for what you want to use it for. A new Gheenoe 15.4 sells for $1,495, the Contenental trailer sells new for $880 and a used 9,9 Merc around $1,500 (based on used fish camp motors with a 60 day warranty,) If you take the new price for the boat and trailer that comes to $2,375, I would then discount that amount by 10% a year or 30% total which you would give you $1,662 ($2,375-30%). Then add the three together and you get $3,162 ($1,662 + $1,500). Just another observation the trailer in the photo is not the one made for the Gheenoe. The bunks should go all the way back to the end of the transom to support the weight of the motor. Its pretty simple to fix, you just need to put on longer boards, not ideal but better than the way it is now. You should also check the condition of the hull where the back of the boards meet the hull. If they have gone over rough roads there could be stress cracks in the hull due to the weight not being supported properly. You may have some room to get the price down but from what I understand due to the pandemic used boat prices are up. With California on fire and the air quality being what it is maybe there are not as many buyers as there usually would be. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2019 Jackson Mayfly, 2018 Jackson Kilroy DT
192 Posts
The model that is in the ad is not a NMZ (made by Custom Gheenoe) it is a standard 15.4 made by Gheenoe Mfg. With that said it would work just fine for what you want to use it for. A new Gheenoe 15.4 sells for $1,495, the Contenental trailer sells new for $880 and a used 9,9 Merc around $1,500 (based on used fish camp motors with a 60 day warranty,) If you take the new price for the boat and trailer that comes to $2,375, I would then discount that amount by 10% a year or 30% total which you would give you $1,662 ($2,375-30%). Then add the three together and you get $3,162 ($1,662 + $1,500). Just another observation the trailer in the photo is not the one made for the Gheenoe. The bunks should go all the way back to the end of the transom to support the weight of the motor. Its pretty simple to fix, you just need to put on longer boards, not ideal but better than the way it is now. You should also check the condition of the hull where the back of the boards meet the hull. If they have gone over rough roads there could be stress cracks in the hull due to the weight not being supported properly. You may have some room to get the price down but from what I understand due to the pandemic used boat prices are up. With California on fire and the air quality being what it is maybe there are not as many buyers as there usually would be. Good Luck!
Great observations and insight!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thanks for all the insight into that boat. I will ask all those questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts